A/C not cold

I had my AC on my 97 K1500 rebuilt 2 years ago....new compressor, accumulator, orifice tube, 1 line because the Shraeder was leaking. Its been good since then. Warm day today, about 70F, so I fired it up....only slightly cool air coming out. The compressor is kicking on and off for about 5 seconds at a time, wont stay on very long...The hose that usually gets quite cold is not getting cold........I am guessing that my refrigerant is getting low.
Instead of taking it in, I am thinking of one of those recharge kits from Walmart. I know that my AC guy weighs the amount of refrigerant that he puts in and these kits seem to go by the pressure on the gauges. Is it a good idea to try one of these kits, have no experience with them? Also, what pressures should I be looking for, are there instructions with the kit?
What about this sealant stuff they also sell?

Dont be afraid to say I am a cheap SOB and take it to the shop...if thats what I should do

I'm sure that you know that you have a leak.

With that known, the cheap recharge kits aren't going to hurt anything, it may make the leak worse... Having it done right (with all the fancy gauges & stuff) is money wasted unless your fix the leak.

In earlier times (when I was poor), I had a few cars that needed periodic recharges...

If compressor is engaging it shouldn't take much. Up to you whether to try stop leak it has to be very small leak. Just make sure you read directions carefully and don't over charge. Good luck.

Don't use stop leak unless you want to ruin the whole system again....and also be turned away by professional shops when you go to get your leak fixed.

The only refrigerant that doesn't have embedded stop leak is normally the cheapest no-name brand you can find. You can throw some of that at the system if you've got a set of manifold gauges, but it'll be a temporary fix as mentioned.

Thanks guys....I am going to wait until it gets a bit warmer out first....Last year, it seemed to do this, but then when it got more humid, it started working fine for the summer. If it still isnt cool, going to go get a set of gauges and a can of refrigerant without sealer. If I only have to give it a little shot every year or so, I can live with that.....Of course, it may get worse, then will have to take it in

Archived