3.08 better than 3.42 for towing

This simply isn't correct. Your 98 might FEEL stronger from a hole shot, but it's not. It's an impossibility for it to be that way. You're feeling GM's tq management and tuning methods at work. Trust me, when I get in my 99 i feel like the gas pedal is the more sensitive than woman on the rag. My 2010 is stock tune and the pedal just isn't as sensitive as the 99. But, I know it's got more power from a dig than my 99 simply because of how the math works out. My new truck has a deeper first gear and more power even though the rear end gear isn't as low (or numerically high) as my 99. My 99 has the 5.3/3.73 combo that was extremely common and my 2010 has 5.3/3.42. You keep saying we/they don't get it, but it's you who doesn't get it. Would a deeper gear feel stronger? Probably. But the way these powertrains are tuned by GM it would take a drastic change in rear gears to make it feel like a world of difference. My advice? If you're going to void your warranty by switching gears out anyway, you're going to be money ahead and much happier to get a custom tune. If you get that throttle response more aggressive and change shift points a little bit you'll be sticking your foot in your mouth for ever thinking you were correct on this particular idea. Gear swaps for a 4x4 are expensive and I can almost guarantee that you still won't be satisfied.

Settle in, do the math for yourself. You're '14 is putting more power down to the ground in every single gear than your 98 despite having a higher rear end. It's the way the truck is tuned that's the problem, and no amount of bolt on mods will fix it. Only a tune is going to wake your truck up. Here's a perfect example; the Toyota Tundra can be had with a 4.30 rear end gear. By your methodology it should be able to tow more and be a lot faster than a 6.2 equipped truck with a 3.73 rear end. But we all know that's not the case. The way the transmissions are geared puts the two final drive ratios very close to one another. However, it probably does feel faster out of the hole because it's tuned to feel more aggressive than a GM equivalent. I think GM would sell more trucks if they tuned their trucks to feel more like a conventional truck, but that's just me.

Your right on the money, just using a can tune and getting rid of some of the TM makes a world of difference . I just wanted to eliminate the V4 and some TM and woke the truck up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can believe it because axle ratios makes a lot of a difference. If I put 3.42s in I can tow 9,500 roughly and if I put 3.73s I can town roughly 11.500. So if I can put 3.73s on this truck I can up what the truck is able to tow by a whole full size truck weight. My 98 had a tow rating of about 7,600 and my '14 has a rating of 6,600.

You're mistakenly assuming that the "tow rating" of nearly 20 years ago means the same thing as it does now. They are completely different numbers. Back then, they were pretty much made up--using some judgement (sometimes good, sometimes not so good) and advertising strategy.

Today the trucks need to actually pass some grueling tests to get the numbers. A whole lot of trucks from yesteryear would fail the SAE tests today with a trailer at their max "tow rating."

Your right on the money, just using a can tune and getting rid of some of the TM makes a world of difference . I just wanted to eliminate the V4 and some TM and woke the truck up.

Not sure if you have this information or not, but did the tune make your truck actually faster? Or did it just make it more responsive? I'm wanting a tune for mine, but can't decide if it's worth it or not. I'm not sure if it would improve how the truck actually performs. It would be cool to be able to roast 'em from a stand still, but if it doesn't make it tow/haul ass better I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Not sure if you have this information or not, but did the tune make your truck actually faster? Or did it just make it more responsive? I'm wanting a tune for mine, but can't decide if it's worth it or not. I'm not sure if it would improve how the truck actually performs. It would be cool to be able to roast 'em from a stand still, but if it doesn't make it tow/haul ass better I'm not sure if it's worth it.

My 5.3 felt neutered when I put the tune back to stock and drove it to the dealer to trade in...

I didn't tune the engine, I run E 85 mostly which adds 25hp. When I'm on a trip I run mid grade gas. Will it burn rubber, easy if I want. Is there any hesitation when I nail it or shifts, none. I've been using tunes since there were tunes. Worth it, yes.

I have a dbl cab z71 5.3 3.08. I run E85 and have the Diablosports tuner flex tune installed, TM off, AFM off, firm shift. Which I think gains you about ~35-40 HP total between the E85 & tune. It is much more responsive, shifts better, I can burns the tires, and it took a half second off my 1/4 mile time according to the torque app I use. The truck feels great, quick, and powerful. Even at highway speeds and above it just keeps going strong. I did go back to stock the past few weeks when I took it in for my free oil change and I could definitely feel the difference. I have not towed my 3500 lb boat with it yet so I cant say how well it pulls but I dont expect any issues since my 05 handled it fine. Now I know this is a 3.08 vs 3.42 thread and all I'll say about that is for my needs the 3.08 is working out just fine and it's better than it was in the previous generations with the 4 speeds. Would I prefer 3.42, yes. I've only got myself to blame for not closely reading the window sticker. I was too focused on getting one of those last 14's on the lot with all the great incentives going on and missed the "optional" 3.08 list on it.

Archived