Rear Axle interchange- what is the difference - Crew vs Ext Cab

Help, I have 2006 1500 Crew Cab. Currently has 3.42 and wanting to go to 3.73 gear ratio. I can fine numerous extended cab rear axle assembly at a great price. The crew cab rear axle assembly is a lot more and hared to fine.

Does anyone know the difference in these axles.

Are the leaf saddles different, the brake type,, etc.

Can you get an extended cab axle to mount up, or are the differences to much to easily overcome.

To the best of my knowledge, the axle itself should be the same regardless of cab configuration. I don't know of any reason why there would be a price difference. Come to think of it mounting should be the same as well. The difference I can see in brakes would be dependent of what year did the axle come out of compared to yours. Earlier 99-02s, give or take, had disc brakes in the rear and yours obviously has drum brakes.

I can find 05 to 07 extended cab rear axles around the $300 price range, correct ratio, locker, and 6 lug. 05 to 07 crew cab axles are all around $1,000.. I have JF3 brake code, BRAKE VAC POWER, 17" DISC/DRUM, W/ABS, 7,000 LBS.

So if anyone could help as to if an extended car rear end would work.

Thanks,

There are 2 brake options, JF3, 7,000 pounds

VAC POWER, 17" DISC/DRUM, W/ABS, 7,000 LBS

and JF7, :

HYDRAULIC POWER, 17' DISC/DISC, W/4WAL, 6800 LBS

Is the JF7 still drum brakes. is there any real difference.

Are you able to transfer the brake hardware from the JF3 over to the donor JF7 axle assembly.

OR is there some sort of wheel speed sensor difference due to a different type of ABS.

Edited by hiking_mike

I found this:

"the jf3 with the jf7 is the brake system part numbers are the same other than the wheel cylinders. The jf3 has 1 1/16th inch bores and the jf7 had 15/16th inch bores."

And I believe I can swap brake cylinders and hoses from the original axle to the new donor axle.

? Does this sound correct?

• 3 years later...