How to Remove Stock Exhaust w/ No Cutting and No Lift

Install the mbrp with clamps and if you don't like the sound you can swap in another 3 inch muffler. I have seen several members with the 5.3 take off the mbrp because they didn't like it. But who knows it might sound just right with the 4.3

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad I read this. I'm fixing to remove stock exhaust and mbrp was at the top of my list. I definitely don't want loud, just something a little louder than stock that flows well.

Glad I read this. I'm fixing to remove stock exhaust and mbrp was at the top of my list. I definitely don't want loud, just something a little louder than stock that flows well.

To me the mbrp was a nice overall tone just way to loud. I'm saving my pennies for the borla touring I think.

MBRP is obnoxiously loud on a V6 as well. I just came back from my test run. City driving would be horrible highway would be alright. The take off to get up to speed is what got me. I sound like one of those guys with a loud exhaust that makes all kinds of noise but barely move. I'm going to have to get a different muffler at least.

Removing the stock exhaust went smooth. The write up was spot on.

My flapper valve was right after the muffler. So V6's must be set up a little different, seems like the V8's have the flapper real close to the resonator? If I wanted it stuck open it would be more involved than just sticking a bolt through a couple holes. There's two square pieces of metal that are about 1 inch by 1 inch with no holes. I would have to twist it open, clamp it and drill through them and screw them together.

Sorry the mbrp didn't work for you. I know the feeling. Did you put stock back on?

My v8 flapper is right after the muffler. I just used a 2 inch stainless hose clamp I had to clamp open the flapper. My stock exhaust which got replaced for the rattle in the flapper lasted 3 months before the new one started rattling too.

Why were you need to clamp the flapper open? Also with your mbrp 3 inch pipes and the extension piece they gave you you have lots of options to order a different quieter muffler from borla or MagnaFlow to swap in its place. Some of those might need to be welded not clamped though.

Thanks Shamrock,

I'm going to swap out the muffler. I will probably stop by a muffler shop and let them do it, mainly because I'm thinking it will need to be welded in. I had some time yesterday to install the MBRP, plus I was itching to do so, it had been sitting in the box for 3? weeks but I don't think I can stand it to wait until I have time to try other mufflers myself.

The flapper on the stock, seems like I read some guys were clamping/bolting it open. I had checked mine to see if it was easy to turn, was it functioning properly etc. It was, I have the stock exhaust set aside in case I decide to put it back on.

I really wish I would have researched it more. I'm back to thinking a Borla kit for the 5.3 would fit.

Check out this borla muffler. It should fit the mbrp with that extention pipe they give you. I think it's the same muffler as the s-type kit. You want to verify with them though. It might still be too loud. https://www.borla.com/products/heavy_duty_truck__3_centercenter_24x675_round_notched__specialty_muffler_part__400500.html

It's notched so you should be able to clamp it. You can also try an 18 inch MagnaFlow or 22 inch MagnaFlow but the tech there said those would need to be welded

I swapped out my MBRP "muffler" for a Dynomax Super Turbo, 17776, I'm loving it. It's only a little louder than my stock exhaust and there's no drone in the cab which is what was killing me on the MBRP. I'm on my phone a lot so I can't have anything to loud. I notched it myself to help with clamping. I also, needed to add a couple hangers. I want to leave the stock ones in place in case I put the stock exhaust back on. The problem I ran into was the width of the dual outlet coming out of the back of the muffler. The stock hangers were to close together.

I swapped out my MBRP "muffler" for a Dynomax Super Turbo, 17776, I'm loving it. It's only a little louder than my stock exhaust and there's no drone in the cab which is what was killing me on the MBRP. I'm on my phone a lot so I can't have anything to loud. I notched it myself to help with clamping. I also, needed to add a couple hangers. I want to leave the stock ones in place in case I put the stock exhaust back on. The problem I ran into was the width of the dual outlet coming out of the back of the muffler. The stock hangers were to close together.

Any pics?

I will take some pictures tomorrow. It was dark out by the time I finished.

I have the Cold Air Inductions brand intake. They only make them for the 5.3 and 6.2, I had to do a minor modification to make it work on my 4.3. I love it. Like Shamrock said check out under air intakes on here.

There's not a huge difference in adding them. I hope to get a tune in the near future and that's where I expect to notice the most difference.

Archived