Identifying Transfer Case 09 2500HD 6.0L

New member here. I've been lurking for a little while.

A few years ago I over-torqued the drain plug on my transfer case and got a hairline crack in the magnesium... A little JB Weld and I am still rolling along without a hickup.

My question is how do I identify the transfer case as I have not seen a metal tag on it? It is an '09 GMC 2500HD 6.0L 6L90E. What years did this transfer case get used as well? I have found a 2011 2500HD being parted out on craigslist and wouldn't mind picking up a replacement if it is the same and can be had reasonably...

Thanks ahead of time!

Magnesium cases went the way of the dodo with the end of GMT-800 production (1999-2007). 2007+ up LD and HD trucks are aluminum cases. HD trucks run Magna Process transfer cases. HD gas trucks use either the MP1225 (manual floor shift) or MP1625 (electronic shift) transfer case. HD diesel run the MP1226 (manual floor shift) or the MP1626 (electronic shift) transfer case. 2007-2014 gas vs. diesel HD cases, the only real difference is the chain. Diesel use a stronger and wider chain.

Now, as far as directly installing a 2011 case on a 2007-2010, there is one big issue that comes to mind. 2011 HD trucks, the transfer case to transmission adapter extension is MUCH bigger than the 2010-prior case, and the front half of the case is different as well. Instead of just the 6 studs to the adapter, there is like, 6 other bolts that attach it as well. Also, if you were to get it on, there are internal differences for the 2011+up on some key pieces, so servicing that case would require the VIN number from the donor truck at all times for parts for the transfer case.

My honest opinion? Find a correct year case.

Thanks for the help on the model number! I had actually looked at the diagrams last night and could only find the entire case which changed like you said in 2011. With your case # I was able to find the rear half for $100.59 from GM: PN 19133141. For that price I will probably just pick it up and a gasket/seal set and get this problem out of the back of my mind.

Is there any chance you know of a source for a rebuild manual or know if you can pull and replace the back half of the case without disturbing the bearings? Thanks again.

Archived