Service history and resale value: replaced 8spd in 2017

Hey guys. New member with a request for opinions...

I’m in the market for a 16/17 GMC Sierra SLT half ton. I found a ‘17 with 10k miles in a great color for decent money. The dealer let me take it home this weekend as an extended test drive... and I really like it. 

However, I was looking at the paperwork for the truck and found the service history. One line read:

PIE0419 Engineering information - If diagnostics and root activities have determined a transmission assembly replacement. 9/12/2017. 

I assume that that means the 8spd was replaced. What negative effects if any do you guys think this has on the trucks value?

Ive put about 30 miles on it and it feels like a new truck, but still...

Can you determine if it was a buy-back?

I’d think if not, you have a nice truck with 10k miles and new functioning-as-the-engineers-hoped transmission with 1500 (or whatever the mileage was) miles.   

On 3/10/2018 at 9:50 PM, Greaser5 said:

Hey guys. New member with a request for opinions...

I’m in the market for a 16/17 GMC Sierra SLT half ton. I found a ‘17 with 10k miles in a great color for decent money. The dealer let me take it home this weekend as an extended test drive... and I really like it. 

However, I was looking at the paperwork for the truck and found the service history. One line read:

PIE0419 Engineering information - If diagnostics and root activities have determined a transmission assembly replacement. 9/12/2017. 

I assume that that means the 8spd was replaced. What negative effects if any do you guys think this has on the trucks value?

Ive put about 30 miles on it and it feels like a new truck, but still...

Thats definily a red flag for me but if it drives good , and the price is good  why not , the head and cam went on a truck I had , thought "man i got to unload it after the repair  " i sold it and the last time i talked to the guy he said he got another 100,000 miles out of it and only replaced the battery once it was a nissan though

I had a '15 with the 8 speed and had issues with it. Torque converter, then delayed engagement needing to have the trans opened to fix. It still had bad programming and I was not happy with it. But did love the performance and towing. Alot changed by 2017 as those issues were addressed and improved. I bought a 2017 Denali with the 8 speed and it is flawless. New programming and not one issue. 9500 miles now. I would take a replacement in 2017 as a very good thing and wouldn't sweat it at all. 

Archived