Torsion bar to LCA fit

I've been trying to track down a clunk for a while now on my 2005 ECSB Sierra 1500 with 181k miles.  Ball joints seem ok, just about everything steering related has been replaced (including pitman and idler arm, upper intermediate shaft and shaft bearing).  So I was under the truck looking at control arm bushings, and noticed the fitment of the torsion bars to the lower control arms looks non-precise, so to speak:

rhBOuyr.jpg

G5mVcHd.jpg

LkhEO7e.jpg

N2QRbH9.jpg

Does that seem like a normal fit?  The blurry pictures are there to show light coming through.  If it's supposed to be a tight fit, I'm wondering if as the suspension cycles, the torsion bar can rotate a bit and cause the clunk I'm hearing.

On 4/16/2018 at 12:11 PM, Kraze said:

I've been trying to track down a clunk for a while now on my 2005 ECSB Sierra 1500 with 181k miles.  Ball joints seem ok, just about everything steering related has been replaced (including pitman and idler arm, upper intermediate shaft and shaft bearing).  So I was under the truck looking at control arm bushings, and noticed the fitment of the torsion bars to the lower control arms looks non-precise, so to speak:

rhBOuyr.jpg

G5mVcHd.jpg

LkhEO7e.jpg

N2QRbH9.jpg

Does that seem like a normal fit?  The blurry pictures are there to show light coming through.  If it's supposed to be a tight fit, I'm wondering if as the suspension cycles, the torsion bar can rotate a bit and cause the clunk I'm hearing.

That's normal fit. Now. Goto the very back of the torsion bar and push it up and down. See if there is any play there. A lot of time you have problems with the torsion bar link bushings. That's where a lot of noise comes from when they are shot.

Goto where you see these mounts and lift and pull down on them If there is play replace them. They have knock out pins so you will need to buy nuts and bolts too.

https://amzn.to/2H8Qb10

Archived