06 Sierra P0101 code

Bought my 06 Sierra 3 weeks ago, and (probably coincidentally), the first time I pulled a trailer with it the CEL popped up. Put the scanner on it and it showed a P0101 code, MAF circuit range/performance. The light was gone the next time I started the truck and has not returned. However, i put the scanner on it today(boredom, really), and it showed that same P0101 code, but the CEL is not illuminated. I have already verified that the bulb is not burned out, it does come on when the key is turned on. Why would the scanner show the code, but the CEL is not illuminated?

4 hours ago, redvett said:

Should still be a history code unless you deleted it.  Clean the MAF. Have you got an oiled filter like K&N if so go back to  a dry paper filter.

Here is a reason why. 

http://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

I have the regular paper filter, and I did not clear the code out at the time, as the light was out when I restarted it. I did clear it out today though, so we'll see if it comes back or not

4 hours ago, Fishguy558 said:

Did you clear the code by chance? If not then I would. Could be as simple as your gas cap was not tightened down all the way or needs to be replaced. Mine ended up being a dirty MAF.

I did not clear it at the time, as the light was out after I restarted it. I did clear it out today though

My 07 Silverado Classic that I purchased recently had that code along with fuel trim lean on both banks and knock sensor codes. Replaced knock sensors and harness and intake gaskets. Also cleaned the MAF sensor. That fixed the knock sensor codes but the fuel trim and maf codes still came back. Replaced MAF sensor and it fixed the remaining 3 codes. I was a technician at a GM dealer for 8 years and that was the first MAF sensor that I ever had to change on a 99-07 truck. Usually cleaning them did the trick. Just my luck I guess.

Try cleaning it, if that doesn't work just replace it. I got mine off Amazon for just over $100 CDN.

14 hours ago, classic2007 said:

My 07 Silverado Classic that I purchased recently had that code along with fuel trim lean on both banks and knock sensor codes. Replaced knock sensors and harness and intake gaskets. Also cleaned the MAF sensor. That fixed the knock sensor codes but the fuel trim and maf codes still came back. Replaced MAF sensor and it fixed the remaining 3 codes. I was a technician at a GM dealer for 8 years and that was the first MAF sensor that I ever had to change on a 99-07 truck. Usually cleaning them did the trick. Just my luck I guess.

Try cleaning it, if that doesn't work just replace it. I got mine off Amazon for just over $100 CDN.

I did basically the same thing with a 2005 Tahoe.  I didn't have the knock sensor codes but I replaced them while I was in the valley changing the intake gasket.  For the "lean bank" codes (P0101 and P0104, if I recall correctly), cleaning the MAF sensor didn't do anything.  Replacing it did.  I had the 4.8L motor and bought a new sensor here.  I'm not sure if the 5.3 uses the same sensor.

Edited by Armo325

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:30 PM, classic2007 said:

I cleared the code out, and it has not yet returned so hopefully it was just a little hiccup it had for a minute. If it does come back though, I will definitely try cleaning it and see what happens