4FD9BA2C-847F-405F-B88E-4F04F11102C2.thumb.jpeg.0ead1fd4ad219551d36c2580bbe3c504.jpegI’m wanting to swap out my blacked out work truck grille for a Z71 grille.

72076A32-0A26-40FF-ADB6-EE8D29B57DB3.thumb.jpeg.112cdf2dc8436497d4dd5ba0b3787a15.jpeg

The grille is easily found in high gloss black with the chrome bars as pictured.  

However the trim around the headlights and the upper cap on the bumper I can’t find in high gloss black.  

Buying the pieces “ready to paint” seems to be 2 -3 times as much as the textured black that I now have. 

Can’t I just prime my pieces with a heavy filler type primer, then sand smooth and paint?  Has anybody done this? And did it work is the question... 

Thanks for your help!

4FD9BA2C-847F-405F-B88E-4F04F11102C2.thumb.jpeg.0ead1fd4ad219551d36c2580bbe3c504.jpegI’m wanting to swap out my blacked out work truck grille for a Z71 grille.

72076A32-0A26-40FF-ADB6-EE8D29B57DB3.thumb.jpeg.112cdf2dc8436497d4dd5ba0b3787a15.jpeg

The grille is easily found in high gloss black with the chrome bars as pictured.  
However the trim around the headlights and the upper cap on the bumper I can’t find in high gloss black.  
 Buying the pieces “ready to paint” seems to be 2 -3 times as much as the textured black that I now have. 
 Can’t I just prime my pieces with a heavy filler type primer, then sand smooth and paint?  Has anybody done this? And did it work is the question... 

Thanks for your help!

I used gloss white
plasti dip as a base coat then used a clear coat over the top. Turned out great, rock hard finish, and shows no chance of peeling under normal driving and car washes. I was very impressed with the results. Wasn’t sure how the acrylic clear coat would react with the plasti dip, but it worked great. I’d recommend using plasti dip as a base paint for anyone trying to paint chrome. That stuff really bonds well if applied correctly and then you can topcoat with other colors or clear coat as I did for a factory “hard” finish, instead of the soft rubbery feel that plasti dip has. Also easy to clean and doesn’t stain like plasti dip does on its own. 7957c2208ee71bda41df0f52002b2f1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, CharlestonJoe said:

I’m wanting to swap out my blacked out work truck grille for a Z71 grille.

Thanks for your help!

I swapped out the red grille that came with my red rally 2015 for a gloss black.  I wanted the chrome light trim to match.  I considered replacement lights with black and painting.  I finally settled on gloss black plastic covers for the lights.  They attach with 3M tape and have been great.  Perfect match to the gloss black standard grille (didn't want to pay the extra $200 for the LTZ grille).  Found them on Amazon at:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YI5W3NU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1