Classic Oil pressure problem (Where should I start for my case)

Hey, I have a 2009 GMC sierra 5.3 L V-8. About two months ago when I was on the highway I looked down and noticed my engine light was on and my oil pressure was around 15 PSI. I turned my tuner on and saw that the engine Was saying low oil pressure so I pulled over. I checked the oil and it seemed fine so I continued on. For the last two months when I started it is at a perfect 40 psi and as I keep driving it, it keeps getting worse and worse. After about 10 minutes it is down around 30 psi but when I shut the truck off and let it sit for a while it goes back to 40 next time I start it. When I’m on the highway at 2000 RPMs it is around 23 psi and 4000 it gets up to around 34 psi. I drove it about 100 miles yesterday and it got so low the oil light came on and started beeping at me. I pulled over and let it sit for awhile and I put some oil treatment in. I drove it another 150 miles and it stayed around 20-25 PSI the whole time and the light did not come back on. I took it to a dealership and they told me I need a new oil pump, I was going to take their word for it but I started researching it and saw all this stuff with the oil screen and oil sensor being clogged. In my case what do you guys think I should start with? The truck on it has 80,000 miles on it and I have change the oil every 3 to 4000 miles. It seems to drive fine and I noticed no difference in the performance. I was thinking of replacing the screen and oil sensor first then going from there if that doesn't fix it? Thanks

Sensor, screen and an oil change.  Grab an AC Delco filter, either a PF-48E or UPF-48R.  Worst case, its a pump or pickup tube o-ring issue.   

Edited by newdude

• 3 months later...