Rough Country 2" Leveling Kit Cobb Job Install

I had the dealership install a Rough Country "2 leveling kit on our new 2018 Chevy Silverado LTZ while they had it in for a vibration issue.

When I realized the install was NOT done per the instructions I was p!ssed.

Is it possible to install those leveling blocks below the shock mounts without taking all the joints apart in that area.

LOOKS LIKE THEY PRYED UP ON THE SHOCKS AND GOT IT IN THERE. 

Pry marks all over the control arms and shocks, no indication of any of the original hardware being loosened or removed (which means they didn't disconnect the electric steering).

The new mounting bolts are all inserted from the bottom up with two of the studs GROUND DOWN to the top of the nut. Paint scraped off the shocks like they put channel locks on them.

They know I am aware of this and want to talk about it.

Not sure what to do.

Is it possible for them to install it that way or is it the cobb job it looks like?

Please help!

Coopdeville

If you paid the dealer to install it they should be able to do it without modifying or damaging any parts or hardware.  I would tell them to replace whatever they damaged, and install the lower bolts correctly.  Often techs working in shops are paid a flat rate.  This means they get the same amount of pay if it takes them 10 minutes, or 2 hours to install your stuff.  If they can find a shortcut they can make more money.  Clearly that is what happened here.  I would at least ask that they replace the bolts, put them in correctly, and touch up the paint on the other parts to prevent future rust issues.  I would also talk to them about some credit or a free oil change for the fact that you had to come back due to their tech being in too much of a hurry.  Be sure to take photos of all the issues so you can reference them later if needed.

Why would you let a dealership install or work on anything????  I don't trust them to be able to change the oil correctly, much less do suspension work.  Also, unless they gave you paperwork stating other wise, if you have a suspension problem in the future while the truck is still under warranty they can deny the claim.  GM has TSB's out there that state this.

• Like 1

Leave it alone, you're fine. The bolts were put in that way because they would have needed to unbolt the front half shaft CV joints to get the bolt in through the top. They have the same clamping force either way they're put in. In fact, I believe the RC instructions say to do it that way, not sure now. Also, you don't need to disconnect the electric steering connectors. No one knows why the instructions say to do that either. The connector's locking tabs break off very easily (ask me and many others how we know). If I were you, I'd be thankful that the tech didn't do any more than he had to; probably would have caused more problems and may cause more if you bring it back too.

4 hours ago, '17 Sierra said:

Leave it alone, you're fine. The bolts were put in that way because they would have needed to unbolt the front half shaft CV joints to get the bolt in through the top. They have the same clamping force either way they're put in. In fact, I believe the RC instructions say to do it that way, not sure now. Also, you don't need to disconnect the electric steering connectors. No one knows why the instructions say to do that either. The connector's locking tabs break off very easily (ask me and many others how we know). If I were you, I'd be thankful that the tech didn't do any more than he had to; probably would have caused more problems and may cause more if you bring it back too.

You do not have to remove the cv's to put the shock bolts in from the top.  Not sure where that comes from.

11 minutes ago, 24v said:

You do not have to remove the cv's to put the shock bolts in from the top.  Not sure where that comes from.

The axle is in the way if you don't. That's where that comes from.

3 hours ago, '17 Sierra said:

The axle is in the way if you don't. That's where that comes from.

I'm pretty confident you don't need to pull the axle out to get those bolts in.  I think when the suspension is drooped all the way down with the upper separated and the shock unbolted, you can get the lower bolts in.

I got mine installed correctly without removing the cv shaft to drop the lower bolts in. I did have to pop the top ball joint off though. There was some pry bar use involved. No real way around that working on the front suspension. 

They didn't do it per the instructions from what I can see. Rough Country claims this will void their warranty.

There shouldn't be pry marks all over the shocks and A-arms with paint scrapped off.

I'm undecided about what to do. This is the wife's new truck and she says they will never touch it again.

I think we need to approach them about our money back or else we'll call the BBB.

I still wonder how they installed them without following the instructions though.

kit.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed the same kit on my '18 and you do not have to take out CV joints.  I did undo top ball joint and undo sway bar link.  First side 1hr 15min...second side 45min on the garage floor.  And BTW...balljoint would not pop with hammer, I used balljoint fork.