Wheel bearing? Front wheel sound!

Hey guys I put my stock wheels and tires back on today from a set of 20s I had on it. All of a sudden I’m hearing a small noticeable scraping sound from my front drivers side wheel. I checked it out nothing seems to be meeting the wheel and the dust plate doesn’t seem to be bent. The sound is almost like the brake pad is dragging. It’s weird it didn’t do it until I swapped back to my factory 16s for a “better ride”. Any ideas guys? I tried the shake at 12 and 6 on the wheel and it’s tight as can be no play. Handles fine. When I go about 15-20mph you can hear it some straight but more when I turn to the right. Any higher speeds it’s hard to hear because of the straight pipe exhaust and normal engine noise. I’m running 285/75/16 Michelin’s so I’d think tires would be the least of my worries. But anyway please let me know if y’all think of anything! 

Wheel bearing?  Other rubber hiding it?  If you can, put it up on the hoist with wheels suspended. Have driver put it in gear, front end engaged. Listen each corner with a stethoscope. I just went through this, right front bearing was going out. With no fault codes either. Just an idea, worked for me...

I know everybody knows this, but somehow I don't think I was careful for the first 30 years I worked on my cars...  but I have now for the last 20 years.  When taking rims off/on (e.g., brakes or tire rotation), clean up the contact points on the hub and the rim.  Remove any dirt and rust so the rim goes back against the hub without any undesired crud.

12 hours ago, starman8tdc said:

Dust/heat shield. Stick a long screw driver though the rim spokes, and use a hammer to bend the shield back. Drive a few feet, and bend another spot, drive a few more feet and bend another spot. Once the sound goes away, you are good to go. Very common issue. 

Thanks man!

9 hours ago, jake111 said:

I know everybody knows this, but somehow I don't think I was careful for the first 30 years I worked on my cars...  but I have now for the last 20 years.  When taking rims off/on (e.g., brakes or tire rotation), clean up the contact points on the hub and the rim.  Remove any dirt and rust so the rim goes back against the hub without any undesired crud.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Dennis Kieler said:

Wheel bearing?  Other rubber hiding it?  If you can, put it up on the hoist with wheels suspended. Have driver put it in gear, front end engaged. Listen each corner with a stethoscope. I just went through this, right front bearing was going out. With no fault codes either. Just an idea, worked for me...

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...