Lifter Bad + Bent push rod

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:13 PM, GM15SierraAT said:

So my 2015 Sierra out of no where just encountered engine problems.  Cylinder #4 lifter went bad, bent push rod and they had to replace the cylinder.

Has anyone else had this issue?  

Close, not sure of which cylinder, but had a broken push rod. Dealer did tests and found abnormal wear on the cylinder walls and are replacing whole engine per GM. They said that the only broken item was the push rod.

36 minutes ago, GM15SierraAT said:

Have you had any issues since it was repaired?

Still do not have the truck back. Will be a total of 18 days without it. Should have no issues with a brand new engine, but if things were not put back correctly, who knows...............

2 hours ago, GM15SierraAT said:

Good luck with everything buddy.  I didn’t have mine for a month so I feel your pain!

Any problems with yours since you have had it back? How many miles when you had the failure? Mine happened at 23100. 

• 1 year later...
14 minutes ago, Mark051 said:

I have the same issue with my 2019 GMC AT4 Sierra. Only 18,600 miles. The dealer suggested I contact GM and start a claim. How did this work for you?

In the long run, it worked out good, took a while.

Why are they suggesting you open a claim on a truck under warranty?

My claim was opened because the new engine was installed incorrectly in my 16, and ended up being a buy back from GM.

I told them I didn't feel safe or comfortable continuing on with the vehicle with such a serious issue at such low mileage. The service dept. agreed. I inquired about a trade or buy-back with the service department and that's what prompted the call to start the case. I have a case number now.....we'll see how it goes.

23 hours ago, Mark051 said:

I told them I didn't feel safe or comfortable continuing on with the vehicle with such a serious issue at such low mileage. The service dept. agreed. I inquired about a trade or buy-back with the service department and that's what prompted the call to start the case. I have a case number now.....we'll see how it goes.

They do have a trade in allowance option, that is how my 14 went back and I ended up with my 16, which ended up being a buy back, and is how I ended up in my 18.

Time consuming, but in my opinion, my dealership and GM stepped up and took care of me both times.

• 1 year later...

bent push rod in cylinder 3 in a 2021 6.2 GMC with 7100 miles, parts are hard to find. Finally off back order and on their way to the dealer. GMC says it's a permeant fix. Better not be a band aid fix.  Didn't get a loaner even though it's in writing. Said the faulty parts are all coming from one place. You'd think they would have this taken care of if it's happened in the past years....What a JOKE

On 8/4/2021 at 11:47 AM, clawman said:

How much labor does it take to replace push rod and lifters? According to GMC dealer here GM recalled all lifters on their shelves and issuing new part with different part number.

I think to do a cylinder head R&R with lifters is something like 9 hours of labor. So take that and multiply it by whatever your shop labor rate is. Probably around the $1,300-1,400 if it's a higher labor rate plus all the parts you need.