Moroso Catch Can for 2012 Sierra 5.3

diyer2

The engine in my truck is not a direct injection motor but I decided to put a catch can on it. 

I figured any catch can would be better than none.

This review is for the Moroso model 85481 installed on my 2012 Sierra 5.3 L.

I looked at a lot of catch cans and decided on this one.

I could not justify paying more for a kit that included all the parts to install the catch can.

Here goes and I hope this makes sense.

Overall good quality.
Simple designed interior for catching oil, water.

I installed this on a 2012 Sierra 5.3 L.

Everything was straight forward except for the install of the mounting bracket.

The catch can mounting bracket fastens to the existing alternator bracket. The alternator bracket has threaded holes from the factory that are used for mounting the catch can.
The kit comes with 2 bolts for mounting the catch can bracket to the alternator bracket. One bolt is about a 3/8 inch bolt and the other bolt is about 1/4 inch bolt.

The alternator bracket must have 2 different size holes from the factory depending on the year because they include 2 different size bolts.

The hole in the catch can mounting bracket that you use to bolt it to the alternator bracket is about 1/2 inch I.D. It’s bigger than the big bolt.

My alternator bracket required the smaller bolt for mounting the catch can to the alternator bracket. Using the smaller bolt, the bracket hole was too big so the bracket would move around on the smaller bolt due to the bigger hole in the mounting bracket.

I made a spacer from a flat washer that fit the I.D. of the bracket hole and the O.D. of the smaller bolt to stop the bracket from moving around on the smaller bolt.

This made the mounting bracket more solid and prevented it from moving around on the smaller bolt.

I think Moroso should include this spacer for this type of installation.

:)

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2019 at 8:57 PM, flyingfool said:

i use this model from a BMW , its cheaper than what the aftermarket offers and designed better

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZIR0YU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You have this on a truck?

:)