06 Chevy Silverado electrical problem

Brokenchevy81

Question

Hello fist post only one question.

so I bought a used 06 Chevy Silverado 4x4 and overall seems like a good truck. My problem is when I connect the battery the truck will chime 3 times then start no problem then if I shut it off and wait about 60 seconds and try to start it it won’t crank over just nothing. All dash lights are on but no crank but if I disconnect the battery and wait a few seconds then reconnect it will start. I was thinking maybe a bad relay? I Relocated the ground wire on the back of the passenger side cylinder head to a more reliable ground.

truck does have the viper car alarm system but doubt it has anything to do with the problem.

9 answers to this question

Just FYI - those aftermarket alarm systems cause more no-crank, no-starts than you'd ever imagine.  9 times out of 10, they are the cause.

Should need any programming. You'll have to chase all the wires up under the dash, & see where they were run in series with the OE wires. Sometimes they're tied into the power windows, door locks, and lighting, so it's best to  have a wiring diagram, but alot of the time you'll find the same wire color at each end - just remove the alarm, and connect the same colored wires back together again.

AWESOME man, glad to hear that! That right there is an EXTREMELY common problem. Compounding the poor quality electronics in those, is that most installation shops that do just car audio and alarms use bottom of the barrel connectors, and most aren't trained properly - the end result is what you had there.

Sounds like you might have a bad switch for the heater motor, and a bad thermostatic switch for the fans - common issues.

At least she runs now! ?

Edited by Jsdirt

Better to be lucky than good, as they say. :D

On 2019-03-05 at 6:39 AM, Jsdirt said:

Should need any programming. You'll have to chase all the wires up under the dash, & see where they were run in series with the OE wires. Sometimes they're tied into the power windows, door locks, and lighting, so it's best to  have a wiring diagram, but alot of the time you'll find the same wire color at each end - just remove the alarm, and connect the same colored wires back together again.

Just wanted to say thank you. I took your advice and ripped out the alarm system and now the truck starts every time I turn the key ? 

I just need to get the rest of the bugs out of it

the heater motor doesn’t want to stop and the main rad fans don’t want to I turn on. Should be easy from now on tho ?

thanks again 

• Like 1

No doubt. Guess the truck sat for 3 years because of that electrical problem and no one could figure it out. Last owner gave up on it then I got it and was determined to get it running. Lots of hrs in research then decided to make an account here and ask the pro’s

obviestly your a pro ?