LED conversion

So slowly but surely I’m making headway on my 2018 Silverado CC Z71. Just put in my black aluminum bow tie inserts last night. Now the next project will be converting all of the lights to LED. I want to start with the smaller bulbs (rear cab brake/bed light, license plate lights reverse lights). But where it gets hairy is installing LED turn signal bulbs in the front and doing a temporary conversion to the rear (bulbs only). Has anyone done this or tried? I know I will need a harness with resistor but I wasn’t sure if it was possible without changing the whole housing. Any recommendations, I don’t have $600+ sitting around at the moment for LTZ lights. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can do led bulbs in the rear with resistors. There are multiple companies that make the bulbs & resistors.

One thing to keep in mind is some guys have reported with some brands of led bulbs in the rear they have had electrical interference with the reverse cam. Seems like a very small % of bulbs.

I did the factory LED taillight conversation on mine but for everything else on the rear I did Diode Dynamics bulbs and only have good things to say about them. Cargo, third brake, license plate, & reverse. US company, fast shipping, 3 year no BS warranty, different brightness options, install videos, ect.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/

1 hour ago, wforrest08 said:

I did the factory LED taillight conversation on mine but for everything else on the rear I did Diode Dynamics bulbs and only have good things to say about them. Cargo, third brake, license plate, & reverse. US company, fast shipping, 3 year no BS warranty, different brightness options, install videos, ect.

I also have nothing but good things to say about DD.  Used many of their products in my Charger.

What level of brightness did you use on all of your rear facing bulbs?  I'm planning to do the same with all of the white but not sure how bright their brightest bulbs are.  Just curious which ones you picked and how you like them.

9 hours ago, xSHIFTxNASTYx said:

What level of brightness did you use on all of your rear facing bulbs?  I'm planning to do the same with all of the white but not sure how bright their brightest bulbs are.  Just curious which ones you picked and how you like them.

License plate I did the lowest cheapest ones I think they were like 8 bucks for the pair. I thought don’t care how bright they are as long as they light up. Well they are more than plenty bright I can’t imagine how bright the brightest tag lights are or why anyone would want them that bright?

SMD2 (24 lumens) cool white

Third brake there was only one option at the time don’t know if there are more now or not? 

HP5 (92 lumens)

Reverse/cargo

HP36 (210 lumens)

I’m happy with the reverse lights as I didn’t want them “blinding the guy behind me in the parking lot bright” since I use the screen as much as the mirrors anyway. We live in the country and it’s pitch black when I back out the garage they throw a good amount of useable light IMO. If I did it again I might be tempted to try the brighter bulbs in the cargos? But then again the brighter ones might be to bright to look at? I just feel the cargos aren’t aimed that great from the factory to start with. 

Color wise everything is about perfect with the factory bed lights. Which is what I was mostly after anyway to be honest.

8 hours ago, wforrest08 said:

License plate I did the lowest cheapest ones I think they were like 8 bucks for the pair. I thought don’t care how bright they are as long as they light up. Well they are more than plenty bright I can’t imagine how bright the brightest tag lights are or why anyone would want them that bright?

SMD2 (24 lumens) cool white

Third brake there was only one option at the time don’t know if there are more now or not? 

HP5 (92 lumens)

Reverse/cargo

HP36 (210 lumens)

I’m happy with the reverse lights as I didn’t want them “blinding the guy behind me in the parking lot bright” since I use the screen as much as the mirrors anyway. We live in the country and it’s pitch black when I back out the garage they throw a good amount of useable light IMO. If I did it again I might be tempted to try the brighter bulbs in the cargos? But then again the brighter ones might be to bright to look at? I just feel the cargos aren’t aimed that great from the factory to start with. 

Color wise everything is about perfect with the factory bed lights. Which is what I was mostly after anyway to be honest.

Awesome.  Thank you for the feedback.  Once I end up pulling the trigger, I'll let you know my thoughts as well.

• Like 1