raising idle rpm to stop misfire? it is bad to do

apollo18

Question

hey guys, my 6.2l v8 with 340,000 km has a misfire only at idle on 8th cylinder (p0308), it doesnt start right away but if im stopped for around 15-20 seconds it will start. i know for sure when i manually raise the idle by foot it doesnt misfire. the truck never misfires at speed or on highway, drives smooth as butter. i swapped coils with working coils, put in new plugs, and swapped wires. had a indie look at it and he said leakdown and compression was good, so he thought had to do with intake gasket but wasnt the case. i took it to gm, and they disgnosed and they believe its a mecahnical problem, something with the camshaft or something, ill get the full diag in a couple days. so i wont be repairing the engine or replacing it unless it was gonna be a cheap repair, im just gonna drive till it dies and then get something new.

so i was thinking of using my tuner and raising the idle rpm to idk maybe 700-750 and hope it hides the misfire? if not raise to like 800-900 until it stops misifirng. is this a fine idea? or am i doing more damage then not? i am certain it will stop the misfire for idk how long because when i do that manually with my foot it doesnt misfire or will stop the misfire. 

i was also reading and someone said it has to do with oil passages getting clogged and the play with the camshaft increases which makes vvt wonky and causes the misfire? sounds kinda like what gm said since they said its an internal engine issue.

thx!

1 answer to this question