Ext cab doors

I have a 04 Silverado ext cab and was wondering if anyone has converted or seen a conversation of the doors to fold back like the 08 ext cab does? Seems much more convenient while loading or unloading with limited space? Just curious if it's possible without a bunch of custom work.

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you're talking about converting the suicide rear doors to front opening rear doors seen on modern double cabs, the short answer to your question is no. It would take a lot of custom fabrication, think about it, the door latches would have to be moved from the B pillar to the C pillar, hinges would have to be relocated from the C pillar to the B pillar with drilling of new holes and plugging of the old ones, preferably with welds, grinding, and then painting. And the biggee, cutting out pockets in the exterior of the door to install exterior door handles not to mention the work needed on the interior of the door to make the new handles work. Not worth it in my opinion. I know the suicide doors on an extended cab of that era are a PITA, but on the flip side I think they look better than the double cabs with the exterior door handles, but I'm an old guy that appreciated the 2 door hardtops of the 60's and early 70's, thought anything with a post or a B pillar was coyote ugly.

No, I think the O.P. wants the rear door to just open further.    The GMT800's extended cab rear doors would swing out maybe 110-130 degrees or so, while with  newer models, the rear door will open up almost 180 degrees (or at least, noticeably more than the GMT800 doors).

Anyway, I would expect it to take a fair amount of fabbing.  I know the hinges to the front door are welded both to the cab and the door, the extended door is probably similarly welded,  Trying to use newer hinges in the older door/cab would be a trial and error thing, as both the cab and the door are significantly different.

• Like 1

Yes, I should have been more clear sorry. I was just wondering if the rear extended cab doors could be converted to swing the 180 deg. All the cool stuff out there I figured someone has tried it. Would just make it simpler to load unload in my garage if the rear door opened further out of the way.

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Example of how the newer trucks ex cab doors opend5559ab2d6f6b11b295d505dbb1c0014.jpg

• 2 years later...