backup camera not working, then it was

2021 AT4 1500 had this happen at 127miles. I had to disconnect the negative terminal on battery for 2hrs to reset the system, that “fixed it.” Now it’s happened again at 400 miles. This time I waited two days and it hasn’t fixed itself yet so i just disconnected the battery again. Both times I experienced this I used the GMC app to remote start the truck before leaving work. I don’t always use the app. Not sure if it’s related or coincidence.

Has anybody found a permanent fix? I’ve read this has been a known issue since 2019. Surely GM has a firmware fix for this by now? 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 2021 Silverado LT Z71. Brand new. At 1000 miles, I put the truck into reverse and the camera went out. Never has came back on. Been to the dealer 3 times now and they still do not have a solution. They replaced the camera, no fix. They replaced the whole radio head unit and that fixed it.....for 10 minutes. The tech put it into reverse before I picked it up to show that it was fixed and it just cut out again. Very aggravating that I am paying $400 a month for a vehicle that is having issues. Isn't this the main reason that you buy new vehicles? So there is no hassle? Never buying another GM vehicle. Next truck will be a Ford or a Dodge. I will do a follow up post as soon as I find more information or if there will ever be a final solution to this. 

15 minutes ago, ButImstillangry said:

Please open a ticket with Chevrolet Cares, like I did. It’s the only way they’ll move on it. They need an overwhelming amount of tickets. 

They supposedly have one open with GM, but I will open one as well with Chevy Cares. Do you have a link?

24 minutes ago, ButImstillangry said:

Please open a ticket with Chevrolet Cares, like I did. It’s the only way they’ll move on it. They need an overwhelming amount of tickets. 

Thanks for the link I’ll open one as well. 

I have somewhat found a work around. Please note, this may only work for certain people and that I also have a brand new radio head unit and camera that was installed yesterday, 6/12/2021.

I woke up this morning and noticed the camera was indeed working. Got to work and 3 hours later when I went to go pick up lunch, the camera went out again. I reset the radio to factory defaults, clearing the default applications and user settings (there are 3 reset settings in the radio settings menu). I then put the truck into reverse, and the camera was back on.

All I did this morning after I noticed the camera was working was connect my iPhone 12 Pro Max to Apple Car play to listen to my music. Not sure if that was what caused it, but I will keep investigating if the camera decides to go out again. With all of that being said, it is most likely just a software bug. I guess working in I.T. pays off a little bit. Maybe I will try just using standard bluetooth instead of CarPlay to see if that still causes it to go out. Or maybe it isn't related at all....IDFK.

Just an update, it went out again yesterday afternoon when I needed it to back up to my boat of course. It came back on within 15 minutes of me being outside of the truck and it just running. After I connected the boat and went to pull away, it was working. It has worked all day ever since I got in the truck this morning. I am talking with the dealer on Monday so they can take these details and let their engineers know. So I guess it's good that I am getting it to work here and there, hopefully they can figure this out for us.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello all,

I own a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 and the camera intermittently fritzes on average about once every 4-8 weeks.  Every now and then it has a difficult time starting again on average about once every 4-8 weeks.  Regarding the camera it would show the same not working symbols shared above.  The starting issue would last about 5 seconds and stop upon which restarting would be normal.  I've went into the dealer to have it looked at and they reprogramed and updated the software/firmware and it was good for about 2 months and then it started again.

When the camera fritzes it usually comes back on the next restart or after parking it for the day and operating the following day.  I will start a more rigorous data compilation and hopefully videos of the starting and camera issues for the next shop visit.  I will share findings as they come about.

Additional efforts to research the camera issue led to possible causes via faulty wiring, a bad fuse, or a software glitch.  I've yet to dig further into each of these.

Cheers to all,

Wiggy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same problem as everyone else, worked then it doesn't.  What makes mine unique (but not special) the truck literally roll off the trailer on Thursday with 2 miles on it, and I drove it home on Friday with 15 miles after the Dealer prep. 

I bought and traded in my 2021 1500 LTZ with every piece of tech option you can get on it back in May with 45 miles on it.  Not a single problem. 

With less than 5000 miles I traded it in for a 2022 3500HD High Country minus the HUD and live rear view mirror.  (Chip shortage?) And now I'm an unfortunate member of this problem.  After trying to "reset" the problem back to working to no advil, I went an completed my profile setup, and configured the dash.  Don't know if it helps troubleshoot the problem, but I also transfered my ATT Internet and Onstar over to the new truck when I picked it up at the dealer.

This morning.  Works like a champ.  Ran errands - backed up to park, used the cameras to squeeze through the concreate curbs at the bank, etc.  

Update: More errands, used the cameras all day, the problem hasn't resurface.

Edited by sealmindset