backup camera not working, then it was

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Possible solution… I’m not an expert by any means but I found that the infotainment system in my 2020 Silverado does some weird things if my iPhone isn’t updated. 

I got this same screen that everyone is talking about on the backup cam last night for the first time.. couldn’t get it to work. Checked my iPhone for an update and it needed to be updated to the latest version of iOS. Low and behold when I get in the truck this morning it works with no issues. Again, no clue if this is just a coincidence - but updating my phone has fixed glitches in the past. Worth a shot, hopefully this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 7:56 AM, TweetybyrdRT said:

today at less than 2000 miles my 2020's backup camera stopped working,  all I got was the warning symbol and a crossed out camera icon in the display.  Drove to work and waited 45 min and just went out to check it again and it works now.  Any ideas?   I don't have the lane departure stuff or forward camera.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the note about the tailgate!  I had this issue today on my 2021 Silverado 1500 High Country just 2 days after buying it used with 13000 miles.  The camera app wouldn't open and error symbol when in reverse.  Also, when tailgate was open, lifting up slightly would not get it to auto close.  Pushing the tailgate button would close it though.

I turned off the truck a few times, reset radio to factory defaults, and even erased user data, but still no camera app working. Interesting though was the rear view mirror camera was working the whole time.

Anyway, after reading this thread, I went out and slammed the tailgate closed nice and hard, and now it is all working as expected again!  Cameras all showing up, and tailgate closes automatically when lifting slightly.

• 7 months later...

Same issue. 2020 GMC 2500HD. Backup camera suddenly stopped working and never came back on. I live in a small town and the only dealer is known for incompetent service. I don't have much faith in their chances of fixing the issue. Has anyone out there come across a diagnosis? I've tried all the reset, closing the tailgate hard, etc. to no avail.

On 11/9/2022 at 7:42 PM, Ken Crane said:

Same issue. 2020 GMC 2500HD. Backup camera suddenly stopped working and never came back on. I live in a small town and the only dealer is known for incompetent service. I don't have much faith in their chances of fixing the issue. Has anyone out there come across a diagnosis? I've tried all the reset, closing the tailgate hard, etc. to no avail.

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Ken Crane.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2020 GMC 2500 HD. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Ken Crane/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• 8 months later...

Same issue with my 2021 RST with 46K.  Worked fine yesterday.  Extremely hot today, and it sat out front all day.  Doubt thats it.  My 2011 Tahoe has never had an issue. 

Read thru the threads and found 2 Quick Fixes:

1. Open the Tailgate, and Slam it shut - OMG it worked for me the 1st time.

2. Unhook the Battery at the Negative Terminal for an extended period.

I hope this is actually a one off.  We shall see.

My 2020 RST had camera issues with 33K miles and 2-years old.....

Technician found the issue(s), bad harness from the front to the rear with corroded terminals on it. 

He stated there is supposed to be dummy pins on all unused slots and my harness didn't have this which allowed moisture to enter the connector and corrode it. 

Replaced the harness and issue gone......just traded this truck 2-months ago for a '23 High Country. 

Edited by BigMick2023

• 7 months later...

2021 HD 2500 here. Camera system blacks out and shows the ! symbol with camera icon and a line though it. Sometimes it is working fine and sometimes it goes out partially or fully.

I dropped the truck off at GMC to diagnose and they said it is a bad camera module which is covered under my CPO warranty. 

Hope this information helps someone....

On 2/21/2024 at 6:23 PM, Mike_72 said:

2021 HD 2500 here. Camera system blacks out and shows the ! symbol with camera icon and a line though it. Sometimes it is working fine and sometimes it goes out partially or fully.

I dropped the truck off at GMC to diagnose and they said it is a bad camera module which is covered under my CPO warranty. 

Hope this information helps someone....

UPDATE:  Problem has returned after replacement on the camera module computer box by the dealer. Will be taking the truck back for more troubleshooting.

UPDATE #2: Took the 2500HD back to GM two days ago. They could not get the camera system to fault (the problem is random). They went ahead and replaced the tailgate camera just to see if that solves the issue. So far 2 days of driving I have not had the camera system fault..... 

UPDATE #3: Since the tailgate camera was removed and replaced the system has been working without a single issue for over a month now. This must have been the issue somehow...  (once or twice the system would show the tailgate cam view grayed out when it was not showing a total failure black screen which was the normal failure mode)

The dealer changed out the tailgate cam just to see if that was the issue as every time I took it the dealer the cameras would work fine... go figure...  But I am happy to report no more issues and I think this mystery is solved.....

Edited by Mike_72
update