Vibration over 60 mph

dbrieler

2012 Yukon XL, 190K Miles, Spare vehicle not driven daily.

After I had the tires changed with Michelins (same tires as before) the truck vibrates at highway speed beginning at 60 mph, slower than that it is fine. The tires were replaced at a Volkswagen dealership (because I had a credit there) and they rebalanced the tires several times. I took the truck to a reputable local tire shop and they rebalanced the tires, maybe a little better. The tire shop said that the VW dealer had a better balance machine than they do, some kind of "dynamic" balancer that puts downward pressure on the tire as it spins. There is no vibration in the steering wheel but it is felt in the seat. I checked U joints, OK. 

I only drive this vehicle once a week and not always at highway speed so I am not 100% positive that this started when the tires were changed but I am 95% sure! Am I missing something here? What else can cause this type of vibration. 

On 1/16/2020 at 5:51 AM, dbrieler said:

2012 Yukon XL, 190K Miles, Spare vehicle not driven daily.

After I had the tires changed with Michelins (same tires as before) the truck vibrates at highway speed beginning at 60 mph, slower than that it is fine. The tires were replaced at a Volkswagen dealership (because I had a credit there) and they rebalanced the tires several times. I took the truck to a reputable local tire shop and they rebalanced the tires, maybe a little better. The tire shop said that the VW dealer had a better balance machine than they do, some kind of "dynamic" balancer that puts downward pressure on the tire as it spins. There is no vibration in the steering wheel but it is felt in the seat. I checked U joints, OK. 

I only drive this vehicle once a week and not always at highway speed so I am not 100% positive that this started when the tires were changed but I am 95% sure! Am I missing something here? What else can cause this type of vibration. 

You said you only drive this vehicle once a week.  Certain tires get a little "flat-spotted" after sitting in the same parked position, to where you have to get some heat in the tires (few miles of highway driving) for the small vibration(s) to go away.  I have heard of that problem with BfGoodrich and Bridgestone tires, but not Michelins.  If you go on an extended trip, does the vibration go away, or is it always there above 60mph?

If everything else is the same (same suspension, shocks/struts, driveshaft, wheels, alignment in spec, etc.) and the vibration doesn't quit after a few miles, then of course, it must be a problem with one or more of your new tires.  Chances are you have one or more of your new tires a little out of spec. 

Find a 3rd dealer, one with a road-force balancing machine (that presses a roller against the tire while balancing), as I wouldn't trust a modern tire dealer that didn't have that equipment.  Have them put their best balancing tech on it.  It is a fine art to get rid of some vibrations.  Ideally they'll spin the wheels first to identify if you have a wheel problem, then they'll install the tires and road-force balance them, and maybe even have to break the bead, rotate the tire on the wheel, and remount it and balance again.  It can be a painstaking process (that may cost you some labor time), but can work miracles or identify if you've got a tire that needs to be replaced under warranty.  

Edited by MaverickZ71