Radio upgrade with factory bose

Very little info is on the internet about changing out the radio. Here is my finding threw trial and error. 2015 high country 2500.

I went to my audio guy and bought a pioneer avic7200, maestro gm3, idatalink rr and the scotch dash kit.

Was told thats all i need. Install is straight forward. Not too hard. I removed the factory monitor screen so i can reuse the stock trim and not use the scotch adapter. Personal preference.

Flashed the idatalink for my truck. Hooked everything up and got no sound. After about a hour i decided to call meastro. Spoke to tech dept and he said that the rr does not interface with the bose amp. Alpine makes a unit that does, its 400 bucks. Forget that idea.

Went back to my audio guy and he got me the bose bypass harness. So if you have bose sound system you cant use the amp unless you stay stock or buy the alpine adapter.

I ordered a sound stream 4 channel amp and my audio guy gave bass blockers for the tweeters.

So far i am into this little project for $900. If i would have known this i probably would have stayed stock and said fck the android auto and dvd for the kids. But i could not find any info on swapping out headunit and staying stock amp and speakers.

If anyone has question shoot away, hoping this helps someone else.

Headunit $550

Idatalink and gm3 $200

Harness and bass blockers free

Amp and rca cables $120.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Got the amp bypass harness. I suggest you use a battery and tone out the speakers. None of my colors matched up. I bought a soundstream 4ch 1200watt amp. Just got around to hooking everything up. I used bass blockers for the dash tweeters and wired them into the front door speakers. So far sounds good. I will button up tomorrow and try to take pics. Its 27* here so trying to do as much as i can before i get too cold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

36 minutes ago, cmysstailights said:

I didnt have android auto, and the backup camera was awful. Swapped out to a new head unit. Have everything even wireless mira link that controls my phone. Us the sound is a little better

WAMS or Coastal Flash could have got you some new modules and kept everything oem as far as AA or Carplay goes.  I just need to send in my IC to get programmed or upgrade to a Denali cluster.  

The stock back up cam does blow and most of the problem is the camera itself.  It is of poor quality.

• Like 1

WAMS or Coastal Flash could have got you some new modules and kept everything oem as far as AA or Carplay goes.  I just need to send in my IC to get programmed or upgrade to a Denali cluster.  

The stock back up cam does blow and most of the problem is the camera itself.  It is of poor quality.

The wams upgrade was 700. And all it gave me was android auto. For an extra 200 i got wireless android auto, mira link, dvd rear entertainment, 2 sets of camera i put.

1 minute ago, cmysstailights said:

The wams upgrade was 700. And all it gave me was android auto. For an extra 200 i got wireless android auto, mira link, dvd rear entertainment, 2 sets of camera i put.

It isn't cheap no doubt.  After decades of  doing custom audio systems in my past vehicles, aftermarket integration into the OEM systems still is lacking.  I hate the look of the Pioneer HU in my company truck but i didn't have much choice since it was the base IO3.

On 2/5/2020 at 12:48 PM, cmysstailights said:

New radio and backup camera, cloudy and rainy today. 6977f2b8a2ba068d6c385574b4798035.jpg29d2772041d91455c9aaf5f7e2b3cdd3.jpg

Is there a gap above the HU?  The first HU didn't look like it had that.

Is there a gap above the HU?  The first HU didn't look like it had that.
Because i reused the stick bezel it is slightly bigger. So there is a 3/8 gap. I am gonna 3d print a filler piece to take up the space. When i installed the radio it was winter here And 20*. I just ordered the rear headrest dvds and got a 2nd set of hc headrests to take apart and install.

Heres some pics of my attempt at retro fitting aftermarket dvd monitors. Took them out of their factory headrests and cut up a second pair i bought and made them fit. DVD monitors and extra wires were 175, headrests were 130.20f3dfcac4078a3a02d5a9482ec2c2cc.jpg85089680dd7adfbb9b02bfea7343612f.jpg10c553a9ac85e3ae43179bea4998736f.jpgc6c28812d77e58b5d4dc771cb1fc51e6.jpg6a3a2aa2f7917788998328e8ce6b70db.jpg