Steering Wheel Audio Controls Quit Working

New to me:  2018 Chevrolet 1500 Silverado LT, 4WD.

I drove to work yesterday as normal, using the audio steering wheel controls (HOW did I ever survive without them?!?!).

After work, my phone was dead, so I plugged it up in the (driver's side?) USB inside the console.  All during the drive home, the steering wheel audio controls were non-functional (volume and presets).  I figured I'd have to take them back to the dealership for work under warranty.  As I drove, I wondered if the phone had anything to do with it, so I disconnected the phone, but they still didn't work.  Once home, I turned the truck off and re-cranked it, then tried again; no joy.

This morning, the audio controls are working again.  WTH?

Is it an intermittent problem, or is it somehow tied to charging the phone?  I'll try again this afternoon, to see if I can re-create the problem, but I figured if it was a known issue, you guys would clue me in.

Anyone else experience anything like this?  Are the steering wheel controls known to be flaky?

8 hours ago, belchfire said:

New to me:  2018 Chevrolet 1500 Silverado LT, 4WD.

I drove to work yesterday as normal, using the audio steering wheel controls (HOW did I ever survive without them?!?!).

After work, my phone was dead, so I plugged it up in the (driver's side?) USB inside the console.  All during the drive home, the steering wheel audio controls were non-functional (volume and presets).  I figured I'd have to take them back to the dealership for work under warranty.  As I drove, I wondered if the phone had anything to do with it, so I disconnected the phone, but they still didn't work.  Once home, I turned the truck off and re-cranked it, then tried again; no joy.

This morning, the audio controls are working again.  WTH?

Is it an intermittent problem, or is it somehow tied to charging the phone?  I'll try again this afternoon, to see if I can re-create the problem, but I figured if it was a known issue, you guys would clue me in.

Anyone else experience anything like this?  Are the steering wheel controls known to be flaky?

You basically reset the system when you opened your and took your key out for the night.

Lots of electronics, next time (if there is one), stop your truck, turn off the engine, remove the key from the ignition, and then open the drivers door.

Reverse what you just did, and see if that makes everything work again.

Jm, thanks for your insight. I turned the truck off last night, but can't say whether I removed the key or not and I'm pretty sure I didn't open the door. Guess I just didn't go far enough. Fortunately, it has worked all day today, so maybe it was just a software glitch. I did manage to find one thread here (only with an outside search engine) where others report similar instances, but they seem to be intermittent and infrequent. As long as it's not a hardware issue, I should be OK.

I'll come back and post if it does it again. Thank you again!

Belch

2 hours ago, belchfire said:

Jm, thanks for your insight. I turned the truck off last night, but can't say whether I removed the key or not and I'm pretty sure I didn't open the door. Guess I just didn't go far enough. Fortunately, it has worked all day today, so maybe it was just a software glitch. I did manage to find one thread here (only with an outside search engine) where others report similar instances, but they seem to be intermittent and infrequent. As long as it's not a hardware issue, I should be OK.

I'll come back and post if it does it again. Thank you again!

Belch

You are very welcome.

I was referring to when you got home, and parked it for the night, key out and door open to exit.

• 2 years later...

This worked for me as well. I had no dash display for Audio, Nav or phone. Volume controls on wheel didn’t work. Drive the truck, then park. Switched ignition off. Removed key. Open door, exit, close door. Wait 15 minutes. Start truck and my right side steering wheel controls and dash display were normal..

Thanks, Everyone!

Joe