Trouble code p0719

Hi , I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I'm looking for help fixing my chevy c1500 with the automatic and 305 in it. It recently got a engine code for p0719 but idk what would cause it bc all I've found so far say my brake lights shouldnt work but they're working just fine and the trick is isnt driving or shifting wierd either so I'm lost, any help is greatly appreciated.

Make sure all your ground connections are good and clean making good contact.  Also might want to check your brake light bulbs and sockets for corrosion.  Take the bulbs out and put some dielectric grease in there, just a dab and put the bulbs back in.  Check around the brake light switch for any wires that might be chaffed through.

Your Vehicle: 1998 GMC Truck K 1500 Truck 4WD V8-5.7L VIN R

Vehicle » A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) » Testing and Inspection » P Code Charts » P0719  

P0719  

Diagnostic Chart

Diagnostic Chart

Wiring Diagram

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

The brake switch indicates brake pedal status to the Vehicle Control Module (VCM). The brake switch is a normally-closed switch that supplies battery voltage on circuit 420 to the VCM. Applying the brake pedal opens the switch, interrupting voltage to the VCM. When the brake pedal is released, the VCM receives a constant voltage signal. If the VCM receives a zero voltage signal at the brake switch input, and the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) is engaged, the VCM de-energizes the Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Valve (TCC Sol. Valve). The VCM disregards the brake switch input for TCC scheduling if there is a brake switch circuit fault (Refer to Diagnostic Aids).

When the VCM detects an open brake switch circuit (0 volts, low input) during accelerations, then DTC P0719 sets. DTC P0719 is a type D DTC.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC

• No Vehicle Speed Sensor Assemply (VSS Assy.) DTCs P0502 or P0503.
  • The VCM detects an open brake switch or circuit (0 volts) for 15 minutes without changing for 2 seconds, and the following events occur seven consecutive times:
  • The vehicle speed is less than 8 km/h (5 mph);
  • then the vehicle speed is 8-32 km/h (5-20 mph) for 4 seconds;
  • then the vehicle speed is greater than 32 km/h (20 mph) for 6 seconds.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

• The VCM does not illuminate the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL).
  • DTC P0719 stores in VCM history.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE DTC

• A scan tool can clear the DTC from the VCM history. The VCM clears the DTC from the VCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without a failure reported.
  • The VCM cancels the DTC default actions when the fault no longer exists and the ignition is OFF long enough in order to power down the VCM.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS

• Inspect the wiring at the VCM, the brake switch connector and all other circuit connecting points for the following conditions:
  • A bent terminal
  • A backed out terminal
  • A damaged terminal
  • Poor terminal tension
  • A chafed wire
  • A broken wire inside the insulation
  • Moisture intrusion
  • Corrosion
  • When diagnosing for an intermittent short or open condition, massage the wiring harness while watching the test equipment for a change.
  • If the VCM detects a brake switch fault, then the brake switch input is disregarded for TCC scheduling. The VCM then uses throttle position and vehicle speed to determine TCC application and release. Use of these inputs may result in a noticeable harsh apply or abrupt release of the TCC.
  • Ask about the customer's driving habits. Ask about unusual driving conditions (e.g. stop and go, expressway, etc.).
  • Inspect the brake switch for proper mounting and adjustment.

TEST DESCRIPTION

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

1. This step isolates the brake switch as a source for setting the DTC.