How to power dash-cams, radar detectors, lights, etc....

I'm posting this in hopes to help anyone install radar detectors, dash cams, map lights and anything else that requires low voltage.  I had to do a lot of research and ask a lot of people to get this done.  But it is so much easier than running wires to your fuse panel or battery.  Also quick and easier than using pins to put into the harness.

My truck is a 2020 Silverado 1500 RST.   I have no clue what other trucks this will or will not work for.  I am not saying this is the right way to do it.  Just the way I did it.  

This works if you do NOT have powered rear view mirrors.  I'm sure you can still tap into this harness even if this pigtail is used, because others have used it this way while having powered mirrors.  I'm not sure how much it will take to overload this wire.

first, take out the console, it's really easy, two screws and pull.  Here is a YouTube video:

There is a pig tail unused above your roof console, it will be glued to the roof body.  

Peel back the black wiring cover, if you use an exacto knife be careful not to cut into into the wires.  I would guess they are a 22 ga wire.  

I ordered 22 ga T-tap connectors from Amazon and 22 ga wire.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07114RK67/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_dJpGFbX4FPF0R

The purple/white stripe wire is power, and the black/white stripe wire is your ground.  Tap into those by the purple on the top, and black on the bottom of the connector and squeeze together with pliers.   Put the positive on the left and the negative on the right on the bottom of the "T".

Thats it!!   You're done.

Its also an accessory source, so it only is powered when the truck is on, running, or accessory power is on.  

20201009_193147.jpg

20201009_193219.jpg

20201009_193340.jpg

20201009_195758.jpg

Edited by fsuboy75
  • Like 2