Leaky Transmission Cooler Line

Our 2008 Tahoe (5.3 Flex) has a leaky transmission cooler line. It is leaking at the flexible plastic accordion shaped connector between the hard metal lines from the radiator and the transmission, viewed between the firewall and the radiator. While wiping it down I noticed that the flexible connector line can easily be rotated but I am suspecting that is just a protective sheath over a real hose.

Is there a repair kit to replace that flexible section or should I just jump in with a tubing cutter and length of hose and clamps?

I'm not sure that adding hose clamps would do the trick because of the details of the crimps. And I suspect that it's a unique crimping tool with so many ridges built into the finished crimp.

Replacing the entire looks like it would be tough because the lines snake over frame components and the connections are obscured by the exhaust system with very little hand room.

Edited by Beamie

6 hours ago, Beamie said:

Our 2008 Tahoe (5.3 Flex) has a leaky transmission cooler line. It is leaking at the flexible plastic accordion shaped connector between the hard metal lines from the radiator and the transmission, viewed between the firewall and the radiator. While wiping it down I noticed that the flexible connector line can easily be rotated but I am suspecting that is just a protective sheath over a real hose.

Is there a repair kit to replace that flexible section or should I just jump in with a tubing cutter and length of hose and clamps?

I'm not sure that adding hose clamps would do the trick because of the details of the crimps. And I suspect that it's a unique crimping tool with so many ridges built into the finished crimp.

Replacing the entire looks like it would be tough because the lines snake over frame components and the connections are obscured by the exhaust system with very little hand room.

The best repair is to replace the lines and like you, I have to do it, but keep kicking the can down the road.  My truck also has the engine oil cooler, so they will be done at the same time and will be dropping the differential some for more clearance.  Guys have cut the metal tubing and used double clamps at each end with the appropriate hose but since it moves, not sure that I would trust it long term.

48 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

The best repair is to replace the lines and like you, I have to do it, but keep kicking the can down the road.  My truck also has the engine oil cooler, so they will be done at the same time and will be dropping the differential some for more clearance.  Guys have cut the metal tubing and used double clamps at each end with the appropriate hose but since it moves, not sure that I would trust it long term.

Agreed but I think it's more of a risk hoping there won't be a catastrophic failure while it's being driven with the way it is. Pisser that it looks like the exhaust may need to be dropped to get to the tranny end connectors. I can barely see them let alone reach them.

Edited by Beamie

5 hours ago, Beamie said:

Agreed but I think it's more of a risk hoping there won't be a catastrophic failure while it's being driven with the way it is. Pisser that it looks like the exhaust may need to be dropped to get to the tranny end connectors. I can barely see them let alone reach them.

They go over the top of the trans from the other side.  I've done them before on my Oldsmobile and Buicks.  My lines are sweating, not leaking but they'll be replaced soon when I tear the front end apart.  A dealer recently replaced both sets on another vehicle we're buying, trans lines were $123.49 with 2.30 hours labor, $276.  Oil cooler lines were $99.75 and labor was 2.7 hours for $324.

Just did all 3 transmission lines on my '10 Silverado due to rust out by the cooler. It was cheaper than I thought it would be $155 (CAD) for the lines and 3 hours labour. Not that difficult if you have a hoist.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ianf said:

Just did all 3 transmission lines on my '10 Silverado due to rust out by the cooler. It was cheaper than I thought it would be $155 (CAD) for the lines and 3 hours labour. Not that difficult if you have a hoist.

Wow. That would be $300 labor at my mechanic's shop.

6 hours ago, swathdiver said:

They go over the top of the trans from the other side.  I've done them before on my Oldsmobile and Buicks.  My lines are sweating, not leaking but they'll be replaced soon when I tear the front end apart.  A dealer recently replaced both sets on another vehicle we're buying, trans lines were $123.49 with 2.30 hours labor, $276.  Oil cooler lines were $99.75 and labor was 2.7 hours for $324.

I just watched a a 10 minute video on my year truck. He must have left something out. All the same, two posts have convinced me to do it myself due to the time involved.

• Like 1