2002 Silverado HVAC Problems

Hello My Uncle has a 2002 Silverado and the Blower Fan only runs on speeds 4 and 5. Any ideas as to why? I am thinking the blower motor resistor might be bad? Also the directional control isn't working when it's set to dash it blows out the defrost and will not switch to the dash. It will mix the defrost and floor but won't completely turn off the defrost, any ideas on that? He put a different HVAC control unit off ebay before bringing it to me and that didn't change anything.

Any help is much appreciated

2 things, one the dual climate actuator is  a known issue for these trucks. You may need to replace them.  Also the resistor is likely your problem, but before you change it out, try something.  Remove the protective trim cover that covers the blower motor/resistor.  If you can get to the resistor plug, try to unplug it and clean up the connections, you may need to remove the blower motor first. I have a 99 (new style) and a 04 and both did the resistor thing, but after just cleaning up the connection, they worked as they should.