Broken into - No horn / Airbag warning now

Was at the beach and came back to the message on my dash "Theft Attempted". I realized they jammed something in the driver side door lock (thought these were supposed to freely turn with the wrong key) and later realized my horn didn't work. A day or so later I get the alert "Service the airbag system in your 2021 Silverado". On top of that, my keyless entry button will not unlock the truck anymore. I realize the dealer is the best bet in terms of figuring out what went wrong, but I wanted to check in here first to see if anyone has an idea as to where I should be looking for something that's disconnected or cut before I have to shell out money. I can't find anything, and I don't know where to start.

Edited by Robbievo

• 2 years later...

Same thing happened to me this week while parked at a hotel. Culprit obviously tried to use a screwdriver or something and now no horn. DIC said Theft attempted.  DId you wind up going to the dealer or figure somethingout yourself?

Edited by Jpick
misspeled

10 minutes ago, Jpick said:

Same thing happened to me this week while parked at a hotel. Culprit obviously tried to use a screwdriver or something and now no horn. DIC said Theft attempted.  DId you wind up going to the dealer or figure somethingout yourself?

Robbievo hasn't posted on this forum since May 2021. Did you check the wiring to the horn behind the grill? 

Not yet, because the horn quiting seemed related to the attempted break in and the door handle. TRhe fuse is all I checked. I haven't checked the relay yet either.  

Thanks, will check the easiest thinks first. And the wire to the horn is a good idea. they might5 have cut it if it is easy to reach

First, check your vehicle's relays to ensure none have been blown or damaged due to the attempted theft. Also, inspect the wiring around the driver-side door lock area for any signs of damage or disconnection.

Full spectrum, all 4 code families is step one to see what the system is reporting since you have warning lights. 

Without a scan it's just a guess, at least the codes will help point the way. 

• 2 weeks later...

As a follow up, my horn wire was cut. Would assume a pro that got scared off. They likely cut the horn, went to break in at the lock and the lights started flashing since the alarm uses both horn and lights. I relocated the two horns on my 2021 over in behind the headlight and had to use insulated alligator clips to just catch the 1/4" of a wire stubs they left because they cut it up above the plastic wire sheathing that is to protect the wires. Ordered a new connector for $9 off amazon (came from a GM dealer) and have it on the list to fix it. GM needs to think about fixing this. My horns are still loud enough and pretty unobstructed where I relocated. But they can no longer be accessed or seen through the front grill. I have a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali with 3.0 diesel

On 3/21/2024 at 11:05 PM, Bikerjon said:

Robbievo hasn't posted on this forum since May 2021. Did you check the wiring to the horn behind the grill? 

it was the wiring. Thieves cut it in attempt to break in and steal truck or contents

Edited by Jpick
misspeled