Tahoe keeps dying

James Jones

Question

My Tahoe the other day decided it was gonna stall while I was driving it. So I pulled over, let it rest for a few minutes and tried starting it back up. After about the fourth or fifth try it would start, put it in drive and it would drive normally again for about the next 2 or 3 minutes then stall out again. Took it to a local mechanic and he told me it was either the battery or the throttle body. Bought a new battery so it’s not that. Cleaned the throttle body real good, but didn’t buy a new one yet cuz don’t wanna spend the money if I don’t have to. When it’s first thing in the morning I can start the truck and it’ll run just fine for about the first 5 or 10 minutes or so then it stalls out again and won’t start back up till it’s sat for awhile and even then it still takes about 3 or 4 tries till it starts. No computer codes either. Plz help

2 answers to this question

NEVER throw parts at a vehicle unless YOU know for sure what the issue is. Mechanic or not, TEST a battery before replacing! That's over $100 down the drain that could've fixed the real problem.

You need to get a fuel pressure gauge and check your fuel pressure & volume. You'll also need to check for a failed vent valve in the EVAP system that might be choking off air to the tank, which will create a vacuum and starve the engine of fuel. AGAIN - don't replace ANYTHING until you test it yourself and are 100% sure of the problem.

As Jsdirt stated. You need to better isolate the problem before replacing parts. Your mechanic could be correct about the throttle body but he apparently was wrong about the battery. Did he perform any checks on the battery before you replaced it? If not, you might want to find a different mechanic. Not sure how close you are to an Advance Auto, AutoZone, etc but they could have tested the battery and alternator for free. We have all made assumptions about what is causing a problem and thrown parts at it so don't feel bad.

Problem could definitely be fuel pressure. Start easy and work toward more difficult/costly things. When was the last time you changed your air and fuel filters? Could be that easy a fix. After the basic filters, have the fuel pressure checked as mentioned before. Could be a failing fuel pump.

Also, it would be helpful if you stated what engine your Tahoe has.