Fixing Bent Running Board Brackets

In my inexperience, I managed to roll over a curb and land straight on the running boards of a 2009 Silverado 3500HD. Besides feeling like a total idiot, the right running board is now right up against the rocker panels.

The running board brackets are bent way out of shape, and the attachment points to the rocker panel got bent a bit as well. I can get more pictures if that would help. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Right now I’m thinking about using a ballpeen hammer to straighten up the attachment points, then putting the brackets into a vise to hammer them back into shape. That method is definitely open to critique.

Thanks for any suggestions!

45214E80-86D3-4F17-BC20-D3BD5BFF7111.jpeg

E53CE6FC-9A0E-4215-976B-AF5665A16B18.jpeg

7938CA9A-ED56-4CFE-BB43-B43FEBE7A38F.jpeg

524EC4B1-A2D0-40E9-98CE-989D36A64232.jpeg

07FC4801-31D5-4BE7-971F-06E8F904BBF3.jpeg

Looks like you pulled some of the welded-in nuts out of the frame.  I think your method is just fine, take it all off, straighten it all out however you can, press, hammer, vise, big adjustable wrench.  Just be careful if you have to weld on the frame to re-attach the nuts.

Edited by vucelick
spelling mistake

3 hours ago, vucelick said:

Looks like you pulled some of the welded-in nuts out of the frame.  I think your method is just fine, take it all off, straighten it all out however you can, press, hammer, vise, big adjustable wrench.  Just be careful if you have to weld on the frame to re-attach the nuts.

Really appreciate the advice! How can I tell which ones are the welded-in nuts? I'm guessing it's this one I circled in blue, with the corner bracket.

Inked07FC4801-31D5-4BE7-971F-06E8F904BBF3.thumb.jpeg.0cf6e798c24a7334ea1f13d4ba89fd3d_LI.jpg

Edited by stupendous_man