04 Power Steering Gear

I am in need of some advice or direction on removing my power steering gear on my 04 Silverado z71. I have been searching the internet and read this in my Haynes manual, it says to make sure the steering shaft does not turn at all or else the airbag could be damaged. Is it pretty easy for the wheel to turn once this is removed? Is there a trick or something I should do for marking before I remove this one and make sure I install the new one back to the shaft correctly? Sorry if these are self explanatory questions I just want to make sure my airbag isn't going to off randomly lol and to make sure I'm not overlooking something. Thanks for any help.

Edited by Cshurleylt

just take you a few zip ties and tie the steering wheel to the shifting lever, and one to the directional lever just so you cant free spin the thing.  When done you can just insert a small screw driver in the back side of the zip ties and retrieve them for the next time.

2 hours ago, Sharpz said:

just take you a few zip ties and tie the steering wheel to the shifting lever, and one to the directional lever just so you cant free spin the thing.  When done you can just insert a small screw driver in the back side of the zip ties and retrieve them for the next time.

That's a pretty good idea. I have plenty of zipties due to work so I'm good there lol. Should I still mark it though to be on the safe side? Thanks.