Do I need wheel spacers

Hi I have a 2021 Silverado 1500 and I’m putting in a 3.5” rc lift and eventually will be doing new wheels probably 20x9 and bigger tires my question is will I need wheel spacers I’ve heard I might to clear the break calibers? Ive never had wheel spacers before so they are new to me any help would be appreciated 

It depends on your wheel design and how much space there is from the hub mounting space to the backside of the spokes. I had to buy a 1/4" spacer to clear my aftermarket wheels. You can buy them for $20 a pair at Autozone or the like. They are just a 6 lug hole flat piece of aluminum you slip over the studs then bolt the wheels on. There's enough extra threads on the lugs you don't need to worry about any different lug nuts or anything.

Any reputable shop worth their weight in salt will be able to tell you if the wheels you want will fit properly or not.  when I ordered my Fuel wheels I initially wanted a different style than the ones I got and they told me right away they would not fit due to the calipers.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali with 20x10 Fuel Mavericks with a -18 offset on 33x12.5x20 tires.

Looking at other builds on the same truck with similar wheel/tire combos it said they didn't use spacers.

When i had my wheels installed it wouldn't fit becuase of the brake calipers. I ended up having to use spacers, needless to say I was a little bummed.

What I don't understand is how these other same trucks got away without using spacers on similar wheels and offsets.

Wheel spacers.....

I have far more experience with these than I ever wanted.

I was working on some today.

What I can tell you is that everyone has a different opinion about them. Whats safe, whats not, what works, what doesn't.

My opinion:

Make 100% sure that you use the correct torque specs recommended by the SPACER manufacturer, not the vehicle manufacturer, and not the spacer reseller. The spacer manufacturer.

Use Thread Locker (medium) or Locktite (medium) on the spacer to bub bolts.

Make sure they are hub centric and not wheel centric.

Don't ever buy used spacers. Always get new ones.

Once everything is installed, drive it for a day, and then pull the wheels. Re-torque spacers to the hub (minus 10 lbs of original).

Drive it for another day, and re-torque the wheels lugs (to original).

Too much wheel offset combined with too thick of wheel spacers will cause inner fender rubbing while turning.

There are different types of spacers. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages. Average cost is around $120 for 4.

wheel-spacer-h-r-track-black-30mm-per-ax