2018 Suburban Premier wont program new key

I am unable to get my 2018 suburban premier to enter programming mode for they keyfob. I have followed all the tutorials online for programming a new fob with no luck. I only have 1 working keyfob so I have been using those sets of directions. I insert the emergency key into the tumbler, I turn it counter clockwise 5 times and nothing happens. I have tried it with the fob in my hand, I have tried locking the doors first, I have tried it with the door open and closed. I have tried starting the car, turning it off, and then doing it. I have tried it with the car on. I have tried it with the keyfob outside the range of the car with just the emergency key. basically I have tried every variable I can think of that would be causing it to not enter programming mode So I decided to take to to a locksmith to get the fob programmed. The locksmith hooked up their computer to my car and went through the programming process and it didn't work. He tested the key for signal and it was sending signal, we verified I had the right chip inside it and he was stumped. He said maybe the fob I got was bad, but in his career he has only seen that happen once. My worry is that there is something wrong with my suburban. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

You may have the wrong FOB for your vehicle. Just because it looks the same as your current FOB doesn’t mean it’s the right one. The FCC ID needs to match.

Your best chance of success, and your sanity, is to take it to the dealer. 

3 hours ago, cs15dah said:

You may have the wrong FOB for your vehicle. Just because it looks the same as your current FOB doesn’t mean it’s the right one. The FCC ID needs to match.

Your best chance of success, and your sanity, is to take it to the dealer. 

I think you might be right. I thought I had matched all that stuff up but I am definitely not an expert. The dealership just wants what seems like an insane amount of money ($400+) to do up a new fob. but that might be my only choice.

15 hours ago, Charles Bolon said:

I am unable to get my 2018 suburban premier to enter programming mode for they keyfob. I have followed all the tutorials online for programming a new fob with no luck. I only have 1 working keyfob so I have been using those sets of directions. I insert the emergency key into the tumbler, I turn it counter clockwise 5 times and nothing happens. I have tried it with the fob in my hand, I have tried locking the doors first, I have tried it with the door open and closed. I have tried starting the car, turning it off, and then doing it. I have tried it with the car on. I have tried it with the keyfob outside the range of the car with just the emergency key. basically I have tried every variable I can think of that would be causing it to not enter programming mode So I decided to take to to a locksmith to get the fob programmed. The locksmith hooked up their computer to my car and went through the programming process and it didn't work. He tested the key for signal and it was sending signal, we verified I had the right chip inside it and he was stumped. He said maybe the fob I got was bad, but in his career he has only seen that happen once. My worry is that there is something wrong with my suburban. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Charles Bolon.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2018 Suburban Premier. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Charles Bolon/GM trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

• Haha 1

Oof, don’t fall for this. It’s a weak attempt at ‘customer support.’

The best way of finding the right fob is taking it apart (there are videos online) like you’re replacing thr battery. Incr apart, look for the FCC ID number printed somewhere on the circuit board. It’ll be in very, very small print. Then buy a fob with the same FCC ID number.

On 8/24/2022 at 10:50 AM, cs15dah said:

Oof, don’t fall for this. It’s a weak attempt at ‘customer support.’

The best way of finding the right fob is taking it apart (there are videos online) like you’re replacing thr battery. Incr apart, look for the FCC ID number printed somewhere on the circuit board. It’ll be in very, very small print. Then buy a fob with the same FCC ID number.

Yeah. I agree. I already talked to a dealership and they want over $400 for a new programmed key. I did purchase one that had the right chipset in it with matching FCC ID. For some reason my suburban just won't enter the programming mode. No matter what I try. 😕

On 8/18/2022 at 6:09 PM, Charles Bolon said:

You need to go to the dealer.  2017 and onwards you NEED to have 2 already programmed fobs to start with to use the learn procedure you are using.  If you only have ONE original key, the dealer has to to a delete and add programming procedure so you take both keys with you, they will delete the original and then program both back in.  

Link below explaining the change made:

UPDATE: Quick Learn Procedures for Programming 2017MY Keys and Key Fobs – TechLink (gm-techlink.com)

TIP: If only one learned key is present, SPS must be used to add additional keys. The quick learn procedure will not complete with only one learned key. Using only one key for the quick learn procedure will cause the theft security light to illuminate when attempting to start the vehicle.

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

Same thing with my Ford. I bought vehicle with only one key, so paid Ford dealer $480 for a second key. Then bought a third key off Amazon and programmed it in myself. Now if I lose a key, I still have two, and can program more.