2500hd with 4 button 4x4 switch

i just bought a 2001 chevrolet 2500 hd with 9200 gvw that has a 4 button switch suggesting it has autotrac with the round auto button on top. i checked the rpo code for transfer case and its np1 that is a two speed transfer case not awd or autotrac. just wondering how this switch got put on this truck. i know all about the 1500hd and 2500 light duties with autotrac but my truck has the wrong switch  the the dash was made for it with no blank spot at the top of a normal 3 button switch. i bought it from the second owner and said truck was only two years old when he bought it and said when he went for a test drive he pushed auto and nothing happened. i will be changing stereo soon and i will see if its wired ? and maybe change the switch then. just wondering if anyone has seen of this before thanks

Most likely a p.o. bought and installed the wrong switch.  2500hd's didn't come with awd.  The right switch setup just has "4x4" stensiled on the plastic instead of an awd button.  I just looked through rockauto's website for the switch, and it would be easy for someone to buy the wrong switch.

• Like 1

ive allready changed it out because i dont like things that are not correct to the truck i paid 35 on amazon for a dorman brand part. i was just wondering if it was an assembly line goof up and the worker didnt see it said hd on the door . i think all 2500 non hd had autotrac .giving the old one to a friend with 2002 1500 with autotrac.

No, I believe autotrak was an option, you could get either a regular 2 speed TC or autotrak.  It's much more likely someone replaced it with the wrong switch after it left the factory.

Edit: meant to indicate autotrak was an option for 1500's and possibly 2500ld's. 2500hd and 3500 didn't have it as an option.

Edited by davester