Rear axle shaft bearing

Hi

I want to exchange the rear axle shafts because of vibration. I will also change the axle seals. I thought about changing the rear axle bearing (or you may call it wheel bearing) too.

Unfortunately, you seem to need a special tool because otherwise you'll damage the VSES Ring in the axle tube. I looked at ebay and amazon, but only found the standard tools which will probably damage the vses unit in the axle tube. Or the J-45857 tool, which costs over 300$.

This guy already had that problem:

Any advice on how to change the bearing without damaging the vses unit? Any tools that will replace the J-45857 and are cheaper?

• 1 month later...

So to share some detail for others running in the same problem. I replaced the bearing without damaging or removing the vses rings.

I used that tool and a slide hammer: https://www.amazon.com/Performance-Tool-W89326-Bearing-Puller/dp/B002GT423Y

I used the one with the smallest diameter. You can fit it between the bearing and the VSES Ring. With that you can take the bearing out without damaging the VSES ring.

Before taking the bearing out, measure the depth of the bearing, so you can hammer it in to the right postion.