Searching for max payload in a 3500

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 6:45 AM, Michael Butts said:

Thanks for the input!

Personally, we're not gigantically obese, but we are Americans 😆 so I used 500 lbs. to account for a 5th wheel hitch and the body weight over the included 150 lb. driver.

I'd like to avoid the dually since it's going to be a daily driver and soon to be only vehicle we have.  Tough to stuff a LB dually into parking lots.  The SRW lets me go with the short bed and "skinny" truck.

I have been researching the GenY gooseneck option and that looks awfully interesting.  No big ol' hitch and something to absorb the bumps from the trailer.  The few diesel SRWs I've seen have about 3,750 in payload and I can see easily eating that extra payload with stuff in the truck so saving 225 lbs. (weight of a Pullrite slider) would be nice.

Since I'm stuck with Internet searching, I'm just trying to eliminate the 3500s larded up with heavy options to maximize payload.

My LTZ DRW, which is pretty well equipped including sun roof, has a payload of 5400 lbs....buy right and one time.

I carry 200lbs of extra fuel and you always acquire a lot more gear than you think both in the basement of a 5th wheel and inside.  We added a washer dryer combo so that's another 400lbs alone....you can quickly eat up 800 lbs of spare payload capacity on a SRW truck.

As for a daily driver you quickly realize that its not really that tuff to park a dually.  If I think the spaces are a little tight I just find a spot a little less congested, my wife who drives a Chrysler 300 quickly adapted to the dually as well.

I love my GenY hitch.

20240519_144930.jpg

20240515_191711.jpg

Edited by sstoner911

• 3 weeks later...

We're still kicking this around.  Since it takes about 18 seconds to pop the gooseneck ball in, I think I'll try this new fiver with the current 2500 just to see what happens.  If it's horrible, I just take the ball out & start shopping for a 3500. 

Any thoughts on side winds and the DRW's ability to resist getting shoved around?

On 6/6/2024 at 6:06 PM, Michael Butts said:

We're still kicking this around.  Since it takes about 18 seconds to pop the gooseneck ball in, I think I'll try this new fiver with the current 2500 just to see what happens.  If it's horrible, I just take the ball out & start shopping for a 3500. 

Any thoughts on side winds and the DRW's ability to resist getting shoved around?

One of the biggest advantages of a Dually for sure, I have had some good crosswinds in New Mexico and Texas and never got any sway that as noticeable. I would always look to see what the trailer was doing and it was tracking straight always.