Went to Dealer

I am at 35,9?? miles on my '00 Silverado. I brought it in for some warranty work. I had the two brake recalls done, they lubed the driveshaft, replaced the steering shaft, and resurfaced the rotors. Since I got it back my steering wheel shake at 50-60 MPH has returned. I had my problem solved before by having my wheels and tires rebalanced a couple times and it finally went away. Now it is back though and I don't know why. I also still have a slight shimmer when I hit the brakes. Why am I having so much trouble with this truck? Don't get me wrong, I still think it is the best truck on the market today, but I've never had so many problems with past GM vehicles.

Side question for Mountaineer Tom. On your leafs in the rear, that rubber thing you had put on. Is there a part # or something for that? My dealer says he hasn't seen anything like that before.

One more thing. I have a noise from the motor that sounds like a lifter clicking. It comes and goes periodically. GM still has no fix for it, and they say as of now that it is normal. Anyone else have this?

Thanks, and sorry so long.

Later

Quote: from Roofer on 1:38 pm on May 19, 2001

Side question for Mountaineer Tom. On your leafs in the rear, that rubber thing you had put on. Is there a part # or something for that? My dealer says he hasn't seen anything like that before.

Roofer,

The part number is 15604174.  I think they are ?.22 each (?.93 at GMpartsdirect,com), but should be covered under warranty.  Mine were.

Hope this helps.

(Edited by MountaineerTom 99Z71 at 3:14 pm on May 20, 2001)

Hey Roofer, i just wanted to let you know that even if you go over 36k, your not out of luck. Gov regualtions require that problems already addressed during the warrenty , still be fixed without charge after the warrenty. We had a tranny problem with our camaro during the warrenty, and at 47k the tranny went poof! Fourtunatly, since is was "pre-existing", it was fixed under "warrenty".  Also all service bulitains are accepted as "pre-existing" conditions.

Hope this helps if you go over 36k, before you get those problems fixed. :)

Thanks guys. Gonna see if I can get some things fixed. Hard to get to the dealer though, work has really picked up and also workin' hard on getting my house. Thanks for the replies.

I always had trouble fitting dealer visits into my schedule as well.  It never seems convenient, unless you rent a car while there and just take the hit for the $$$.

As for the front end, it sounds like they didn't do a very good job turning your rotors, or they didn't pre-load the front wheel bearings correctly when the re-installed the turned rotors.  Why did they turn the rotors?  Normally that's not required unless they are warped or scored.  If the brake pads are replaced regularly the rotors shouldn't require resurfacing so soon.  I have even seen a tech bulletin from GM stating NOT to surface rotors unless they were warped, scored, or otherwise damaged, but I forget what years or vehicles it covered.

Jeff

Oh yeah, and if the guy didn't get the rotors setup properly on the brake lathe they would have excessive runout, which would cause what you describe.  Your truck has floating calipers, so it's not as noticeable as with fixed calipers like my Corvette, but if the runout is bad enough it will cause problems even with floating calipers.

If they want to turn them again because they screwed up try to push for new replacements.  Every time they turn them the material loss leads to less heat dissipated, faster warping, etc. not to mention the fact that they can only be turned a few times before they are trash...like 2-3 times max normally.

Jeff

Archived