Driveshaft slip yoke leak

I replaced the transmission in a '94 suburban drove it for 2 weeks, no problems. Went on vacation came back and found a puddle of tranny fluid under it.

The fluid is leaking out of the driveshaft yoke at the u-joint, not down from the rear housing seal.

It never had a leak before the tranny replacement.

Is there a seal or something in the tail housing or on the output shaft.???

I replaced the transmission in a '94 suburban drove it for 2 weeks, no problems. Went on vacation came back and found a puddle of tranny fluid under it.

The fluid is leaking out of the driveshaft yoke at the u-joint, not down from the rear housing seal.

Welcome to the Forum :banghead:

There is a seal in the tailshaft of the tranny that rides on the drive shaft yoke. It may have been nicked when the shaft was re-installed, thats where I would look 1st.

hello, i just replaced my seal on the extension housing at the yoke.your problem according to you is not that seal.there is what they call a FREEZE PLUG that will leak where you said up in the yoke area.do a search here on FREEZE PLUG LEAKING.i know someone wrote in on this. my napa friend said his was a FREEZE plug leaking. you have to remove the shaft and take it to a repair shop to fix or he said he used some kind of sealer on it to stop the leak. :thumbs:

I'll be pulling the drive shaft out to have a look, but I would suspect if there is a bleed hole in the u-joint end of the yoke that it is there as a pressure relief when the yoke would slide into the tail housing while driving, therefore I don't think adding any type of sealant would be the ideal solution, there must be a seal in the tail housing on the output shaft that is causing the leak.

yes you most likely nicked the seal. seals are very sensitive and have very little room for error when installing. so be carefull next time. :sick: you should have no trouble getting a new seal at any parts store. I've had a few trucks with leaky yoke seals and you should have no trouble fixing it. just be gentle with the seal :seeya: and by the way commanche, I've never heard of a freeze plug leaking tranny fluid (radiator fluid mabye). :thumbs:

nos, i did not even know what they were talking about on a FREEZE PLUG.i thought it was seal also ON al leaks in the area.he said his is leaking up in the back of yoke area not the REAR HOUSING SEAL AREA.so, i went to my napa friend and he said they will leak up in yoke area and he called it a FREEZE PLUG.there is a post here on that to telling us to look at the back of the yoke for leaks.i would guess that tranny fluid can leak out of the yoke area other than the REAR EXTENSION HOUSING SEAL.there is a post here on this that i read .take care :thumbs:

Archived