MPG increase

Well, went for a 300 mile business (round) trip  today and forced myself to keep it at 65 all the way.  Maybe a couple of miles an hour above for a minute or two...all highway except for 5 miles off and on the interstate to where I was going....filled up and,voila! 20.2 MPG.  Wasnt expecting that at all! Thought maybe 18 or so but over 20???It killed me though to keep it right on the speed limit though.....

I knew there was more mpg's to be found in your truck....  try it at 70-72 mph and you'll prob. see 18 mpg's.  20 plus mpg's out of a full size 4x4 is GREAT!!!

It's hard to keep those ponies leashed up though isn't it Newbie???

I used to get 17-18 running 80-90 mph on the highway with the AC running...this was with my '99 GMC Sierra XCab 5.3 liter.  I'd rather haul some a$$ and pay a couple extra bucks for the gas than poke around at 65, but I'm glad you did the 65 mph trip, I always wondered how much better the MPG would get if I could go slower.

Jeff

I'd rather head on down the road also! Doing the 65 was nice as a test but reality is that most of my driving is around town, stop and go with about 1/3 highway so.....I 'm pretty much stuck with the 15-17 mpg range... it was nice to learn that I could do a little better on those leasurely highway trips though....thisis my first full size pickup and its *amn hard to keep of that accelerator!

If you can stand almost getting run over, you should try a extended run at about 55mph and see if that gets you even better mileage.  I think it might improve your mileage even more, but it might be kind of scary....

Archived