Question About 285 BFGs

I changed the spare out to a 285.  It fits underneath Fine.  No clearance problems at all.  I also have the towing pkg and it doesnt interfer.

The 285 does weigh more.  I recently took the spare off and i gained a little height in the back.  I am thinking of chaining the tire in the bed.  

But dont worry the 285 will fit underneath the truck

The 285 does weigh more.  I recently took the spare off and i gained a little height in the back.

Makes alot of difference going from those P-rated factory tires to a LT-rated load range D tire doesn't it?   LOL

Quote: from polxc5 on 11:37 pm on July 6, 2001

do the bfg 285's rub at all or do you need to adjust the torsion bars ?

For my '98 I did have to adjust the torsion bars.  Don't know if there is a difference in the well size in the old body style vs new body style.  I also keep the spare in the bed instead of the holder, so I'm not sure if a 285 would fit in it for the older body style, haven't tried....

Thanks for the info. I want a little more tone from the truck but want 285s also. When I make the change to BFGs I am going to change all 5 tires. It will be a while befor I make the change so I want to make sure I do the right thing.

Stepside

The 285's will make a difference.  Yesterday i parked in front of a reg cab Z71 with 265's.  You could tell from a distance and up close my truck sat higher up.

i put BFG 285's on my truck after seeing ryanbabz71's truck. I didn't have to adjust the torsion bars at all. I saw on another forum that sometimes this causes ABS problems. What exactly does it cause and how do you fix it?

Braking problems:

On my truck it seemed to take longer to stop.  I bought an HPIII programmer and set it for 32.75" tires and the brakes seem fine and have for about 7K miles.

There shouldnt be any safety (braking) concerns.  

The abs on mine doesnt kick in (not sensitive like it was)

as much as before

For my '98 I did have to adjust the torsion bars.  Don't know if there is a difference in the well size in the old body style vs new body style.  I also keep the spare in the bed instead of the holder, so I'm not sure if a 285 would fit in it for the older body style, haven't tried....

I didn't have any trouble fitting the 285s on my truck.  I am even going to step up to the 295s when these wear out in another 35,000 miles.

As far as a Flowmaster exhaust and your spare, don't worry.  I have a flowmaster system and the pipes aren't anywhere near interfering with the spare.

Archived