Help with blower fan

Hi all,

having an ongoing problem with my blower fan, I changed out the switch approx 2 months ago and it has functioned fine unti 2 days ago, would only come on high position.  I cycled the switch, and it started again.  I removed the blower motor and cleaned the armature, and brushes, reassembled and it seemed to work fine.  I got in it this morning and it started doing the same thing again.  I took apart the dash and looked at the switch again and seems to be fine, but there was some heat marks in the plastic where the plug mated.  I cleaned it.. now waiting?? Any words of wisdom?? is this a common 96 chevy problem?

thanks for any and all replies

Our '98 Z71 doeste same thing. It even stopped working the other day. I took it apart and the wire end was burnt on one connector and the plastic was melted a bit. I bent the plug in a little to make it have good contact and fit tight. Now it has only low and Hi. I think that they get loose and the wire makes an arch and burns up the plastic. Haven't got a real good fix yet, but if you come up with something let us all know.

the older vehicles with a/c had a relay that would supply power to the blower motor on high speed, this lessened the load on the blower switch, it might be necessary to modify the circuit to add a  relay if the problem continues

Archived