4.8 vs. 5.3 vs. 6.0

I have driven a 6.0 and could only tell a bit more power going into 2nd gear from 1st gear than with my 5.3 (before I installed hpp3). The bottom end felt pretty much the same. I haven't driven or raced a 4.8 but I heard they are strong on the bottom end winding up quicker than the 5.3. I actually was going to buy a 4.8 but I got too good of a deal on my truck and never even test drove one. Any experiences with the 3 motors??

I have driven a 6.0 and could only tell a bit more power going into 2nd gear from 1st gear than with my 5.3 (before I installed hpp3). The bottom end felt pretty much the same.  I haven't driven or raced a 4.8 but I heard they are strong on the bottom end winding up quicker than the 5.3. I actually was going to buy a 4.8 but I got too good of a deal on my truck and never even test drove one. Any experiences with the 3 motors??

There really is no way for you to compare the engines, except in 2nd and 3rd gears. The Vortec 6000 (LQ4) is only available in HD and 2500LD platforms and the only Automatic you can get has a 2.48:1 First Gear Ratio. The Vortec 4800/5300 only comes with an Automatic w/a STRONG 3.06:1 First Gear ratio. You'll feel the engine power in 2nd & 3rd gears, but the weight of the larger trucks will sacrifice some of that. Unless of course you are talking about an SS or a 1500 with an Engine swap.

I did own a NBS Z-71 w/the Vortec 5300 and a friend had a similar truck with the Vortec 4800. We both had 3.73 gears in our axles. My Vortec 5300 definately felt stronger in the mid-range, but both felt like they had the same bottom and top end...to me.

You can not compare apples to apples unless you have driven conversions. The following I what I did before I purchased the truck in my sig. I have driven, and tested three Chevy trucks before I made my decision. All trucks were stock

Truck 1: 2002 Chevy Z-71 4x4 ext cab w/ 5.3L, 3:73 rear end, HD towing package

Truck 2: 2000 Chevy 2500 (LD) 4x4 ext cab w/ 6.0L, 3:73 rear end, towing package

Truck 3: 2003 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 ext cab w/ 6.0L, 4:10 rear, tow package

I have a travel trailer, and wanted to test before I purchased my truck. Trucks were owned by family or friends. I towed my trailer, as I would to take a vacation on a 60 mile round trip, basic towing to were we camp in our area.

Truck 1 was great for 90% of the trip, not great to move the setup to 55 mph, but did a very good job, not lacking anything, just needed a little more on the hills. Did not feel as if I could make a 700 mile trip. From a stop this thing did a great job.

Truck 2 was great for 98% of the trip. Got going slow but in 2nd and 3rd really took off and got up to speed (55mph). No problems in hills, good torque power through all gears did not feel overworked, would be good for a 700 mile trip.

Truck 3 did the job. Power through all gears, got up to speed, handled good and in no way felt overworked, could easily make a 700 mile trip.

In the end I got the 2500HD Crew cab, mainly because of the crew cab. I looked at a 1500HD crew, but for the same cash got the 2500HD and have not been disappointed. I think the rear gear took me to this decision.

I hope this helps.

BJ

Sorry to HiJack this thread:

BJ,

I see you have an Open Element Air Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust and 285's.

While crusing between 55-75 MPH:

1. Do you hear Intake noise?

2. How about Exhaust drone?

3. Did you notice a power loss going from 245's to 285's?

I own HP Tuners software and a GTech Pro RR. I will be tesing different configs, Like removing 100% Torque Management from the Engine and 50% from the Transmission among MANY other parameters. Anyway, I am concerned about major power loss when going from the 245's to the 285's.

Vhato...

1) Intake Noise, not any louder than the engine under WOT. The 6.0L is a noisy engine. While towing its louder, but in a good way! At WOT it gets up better than stock in both towing and non-towing.

2) Exhaust drone, it’s a relative feeling. I do not experience any head rattling drone that annoys me. And I have driven three hours at Highway speed and it is really mellow. I hear from many people that my truck is loud only while accelerating, and just purrs while cruzin'.

3) Yeah, I have some powerloss on the 285’s mainly at low RPM while towing 55-60 MPH. The truck does not pull into gear/downshift/accelerate as well as with the 245's. A similar truck with 265's has an easier time getting up long grades and recovering from downshift/upshift situations. I am better while crusing between 60-65 on the highway for extended periods (100 miles). The truck performs well and gets good gas mileage. I have not towed with the exhaust setup. I put that on this fall after I winterized the trailer.

BJ

I have had two trucks 02 ECSB and now I have a 04 ECSB and very happy with it, as an everyday driver, it has the power when i need it, But the only thing I don't like is the extreme TQM. A tune will improve a great deal.

I don't tow anything so the 4.8 is all i need, but if it was a 4x4 I would'nt get nothing smaller than a 5.3 because of the more weight

• 2 months later...
Vhato...

1) Intake Noise, not any louder than the engine under WOT.  The 6.0L is a noisy engine.  While towing its louder, but in a good way!  At WOT it gets up better than stock in both towing and non-towing.

2) Exhaust drone, it’s a relative feeling.  I do not experience any head rattling drone that annoys me.  And I have driven three hours at Highway speed and it is really mellow.  I hear from many people that my truck is loud only while accelerating, and just purrs while cruzin'.

3) Yeah, I have some powerloss on the 285’s mainly at low RPM while towing 55-60 MPH.  The truck does not pull into gear/downshift/accelerate as well as with the 245's.  A similar truck with 265's has an easier time getting up long grades and recovering from downshift/upshift situations.  I am better while crusing between 60-65 on the highway for extended periods (100 miles).  The truck performs well and gets good gas mileage.  I have not towed with the exhaust setup.  I put that on this fall after I winterized the trailer.

I have same truck w/ 285's gas mileage town and hwy keeps coming up 10.73 mpg is this the same for most with this setup ??

BJ

Archived