'02 CD "err" problems, Any Fix?

Starting to have more and more "err" codes on my factory CD stereo. Used to be I could eject the CD and reinsert the disk and it would play fine for awhile. Now, it seems to be every time I try a CD, rarely does it play without problems. I have ran a CD cleaner in the radio without any success. Anyone have any reasons as to why it always messes up, or is it just time to get an aftermarket stereo? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I personally like the factory am fm cd radio, mine too is displaying the ''err' when I try to play a cd. it was playing fine till last week. now it doesnt want to except a cd , and if I force it, it wont play and if I hit eject it will display ''err'' . so I just won another identical radio from ebay for 70.00....I think it was worth it because it probably would have cost me at least that much to have my broken one fixed! not to mention down time without a radio :loser: .these new type of radios have alot of cool features... :cool:

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Same here,

Just started today. I insert the cd and get 'err' message but I can eject the cd and AM/FM work.

It also sounds like it's cycling around in a loop then pops the cd out with the error message.

Any ideas how to fix it or is the cd player dead?

t

This just a shot in the dark, but here's my suggestion because an almost identical problem happened to the radio in my '05:

Pull the radio from the IP and unplug it and do this without a key in the ignition. Make sure no media is in the CD player or tape deck if you have one. Wait about 10 seconds, reinstall the radio and give things a whirl. My radio powered right back up, took a cd and played discs like a champ before I put the navi unit in. There seems to be a software glitch that only seems to correct itself with a complete power disconnect. If that doesn't help sorry, it's all I got to offer.

• 5 months later...

Found this thread because mine started doing this also. Sounds like the cd is turning but then err and it ejects. Anyone find out why this happens yet? Also cass player doesn't play just sits there and changes from side to side without playing. :seeya:

Mine just started doing the same thing last week. My brother is a Chevy mechanic...talked to him about it...sounds like he has seen a lot of radios like mine do this. Maybe it's a bad design or crappy internal parts of the cd player. Anyway, he recommended that I should just go buy an aftermarket unit or try to get the dealer to warranty it under goodwill- since they're a POS. He said buying aftermarket would be cheaper than buying one from the the dealership. I'm not sure if I want to mess with buying one off ebay either...

But, with a new unit, that means I'll need to upgrade the speakers :eek: and maybe add the sub I've always wanted. This could get expensive...

Found this thread because mine started doing this also. Sounds like the cd is turning but then err and it ejects.  Anyone find out why this happens yet? Also cass player doesn't play just sits there and changes from side to side without playing. :crazy:

Archived