? on infant car seat in middle section

I've got a regular cab 2001 hd and according to the instruction manual it doesn't look like the owners manual recomends putting a rear facing infant car seat in the middle section. Is that because the air bags can possible reach it or is it just not a reccomendation. I was hoping someone might have experience with this. The center area comes with a tether area and even in the manual it looked like they included some drawings of the child being in the center area. I can put it in the passenger area but I know that will give a uncomfortable ride for the wife.

I've got a regular cab 2001 hd and according to the instruction manual it doesn't look like the owners manual recomends putting a rear facing infant car seat in the middle section.  Is that because the air bags can possible reach it or is it just not a reccomendation.  I was hoping someone might have experience with this.  The center area comes with a tether area and even in the manual it looked like they included some drawings of the child being in the center area.  I can put it in the passenger area but I know that will give a uncomfortable ride for the wife.

I'm no expert on this Dave but from the video I've seen passenger side airbags do reach the middle in bench seat vehicles. I'd imagine that if you can't turn it off it would be a forward facing only deal. In no case should you risk a rear facing baby seat in an air bag application. Make double sure with GM, not some internet dude before you make that choice.

Vernon

It is not recommended to put child seats in the front seat of any vehicle, however if you have to, put it in the pass side. Anytime that carseat is in the front seat, turn the pass side airbag OFF. The driver airbag could possibly affect the middle section as well..

I can't put mine in the front with the click in carrier. I have to put it in and hold it with the seatbelt. My shifter hits otherwise. With four kids someone has to sit in front. I like easy access to the little one and as long as the seat is locked down tight it won't move. Even with my oldest, 10, I am concerned in a front end collision his body would bend in two, with just a lap belt, and his head hit my shifter.

Archived