How can i tell what size engine do i have?

i drive a 2004 chevy silverado 3500 crew cab with long box. my guess is that its a 6.0L V-8 but it could also be a 8.1L V-8. how can i be for sure which engine i have? is there something on the engine or th truck that states what size i have? does anyone have any pics of the 2 different engine sizes? thanks

Did it have the Allison tranny? If so, then it's got the 8.1.

Another way to tell is look at the sticker under the hood...it will tell you.

Also, if it had plenty of scoot to it, it was an 8.1...couldn't imagine how doggy a 6.0 would be in a dually.

If you look under the hood and say to yourself "Oh My God!!!!".............. :crackup:

or

If you fill up more than three times a week....... :devil:

or

If your fuel gauge needle moves faster than your tach needle......... :nopity:

or

If you feel you should be able to claim your truck as a dependant..... :jester:

You've got a 8.1 :smash:

How do I tell if my truck is a GMC or Chevy????? :jester::smash:  :crackup:  :nopity:

Depends, are you used to looking at tailgates, or looking in your rear view mirror? If its a GMC, your probably used to looking at tailgates and exhaust pipes. If your in a chevy.....your probably being kind enough to show that guy driving behind you what a Chevy tailgate looks like.....of course he may need glasses to see it because he will be so far back. :lol::devil::D

My point on givin the guy a break was that it's possible that he got it used, and it doesn't have the engine cover that says what it is. On top of that the engine cover says 8100 vortec. If you're new to trucks and chevy's.....how are you gonna know that 8100 is short for 8.1L?

But you guys are right.....Calling someone a dumbass for asking a simple question, that has a simple answer, is not only productive...but it's a great way to represent the site. :crackup:

Archived