Wiper Arm Adjustment

desperado58

Question

I have a 1996 GMC K1500. I thought I was doing good by lubing the windshield wiper linkage. Now the passenger side wiper arm is too high on the windshield when the wipers are turned off. I've tried adjusting them at the linkage (where I put the lube) and when I move the arm lower, it goes off the windshield before coming back up. I feel like it's out of sync or something. What is the proper procedure for adjusting these arms/linkage.

Thanks

0 answers to this question

Without standing there looking at it, I can't help you. Don't remember the last time I had to adjust any wiper linkage. Most of them are not adjustable. I don't remember the '96. Hey, I barely remember last week!

I assume you have the adjustment right on the link where it connects to the wiper motor crank arm? Two nuts that you loosen and then you can move things a small amount either way?

That's where I'm talking about. I loosened those nuts, added some lube (linkage fell off shaft when I did this). Now it seems like I can't get them adjusted right. I thought the way to do it was to cycle the wipers and then adjust from that stopping point. I turn them on, wait and turn back off. Once stopped, I move the arms to where I think they should be stopped. Then when I turn on the wiper, the arm/blade swings way low on the down stoke. Off the windshield. The passenger side is the main culprit.

Archived