Lighted Running Boards Electrical help

We are putting a set of Westin Lighted Running boards on a

03 Chevy Crew Cab 2500 HD. 8.1 allison 4.10

The directions aren't too clear on where to splice into the electrical.

So I was hoping someone knew a quick easy way to find the right

wires to hook into the interior lights?

No one seems to have a wiring diagram showing colors etc,

and I havent even been able to find a Chiltons type Manual for these

trucks anywhere either. Both Kragen and Auto Zone said they couldnt

even find a listing for this truck

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

There's a junction box in the dash on the passenger side that has a place where the clearance lights harness would plug in. If you have clearance lights, that slot would be occupied and you could tap off the center wire on the right side of the harness to get "parking light" power. Or if you don't have clearance lights (or roof marker lamps as they're called by GM), you'll just have an empty slot with 6 tabs sticking out. You can just get a female thin-spade connector (the kind that's on the negative terminal of speakers) and plug it onto the center lead.

(Check with a voltmeter with parking lights on, and off, to make sure you have the right pin.)

That's where I had to tap in for an "illumination" lead for my aftermarket (Pioneer) sound system.

I could send a pic if you need one. Email me.

Thanks!

he wanted interior lights. I have been looking for this also

Is the point to give some lighting to the fragile souls that are trying to negotiate the running boards on the way to getting into the truck?

Doh! Why didn't I realize that??

While I don't have any specific answers on this one, I'll just think like an engineer for a moment. (Wait a minute, I am an engineer.) If there are interior lights on the doors, then there is a wire passing through the doorjam that is energized when the interior lights are on. If it passes through the doorjam, it's reachable in the kick panel. That sounds like your best bet. Sorry it's not under the hood, but I think this is as close to the running board as you are likely to get.

A second option is the headlight switch (also not under the hood, sorry). The dome lamp override switch is here, so the interior lights are probably running through this switch, unless they're controlled by the RDS (Anyone?, Bueller??).

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone figured out which wire/s to tap into yet for the lights on the running boards?

While I don't have any specific answers on this one, I'll just think like an engineer for a moment.  (Wait a minute, I am an engineer.)  If there are interior lights on the doors, then there is a wire passing through the doorjam that is energized when the interior lights are on.  If it passes through the doorjam, it's reachable in the kick panel.  That sounds like your best bet.  Sorry it's not under the hood, but I think this is as close to the running board as you are likely to get.

A second option is the headlight switch (also not under the hood, sorry).  The dome lamp override switch is here, so the interior lights are probably running through this switch, unless they're controlled by the RDS (Anyone?, Bueller??).

Having just tapped into the overhead console's map light connector for an unswitched 12v power feed, I also found that there is a switched 12v feed that is controlled by the BCM and the dash dome light switch. Since the doors on my Silverado have lights that also work at the same time as the dome lights, there must also be switched 12v power feeds going from the kick panels and into the doors (like mmmikkke says). That's probably the best place to get power for the running boards (as a bonus, there's one on each side, so each board can run a short length to that side vs. having to run one of the two clear across the vehicle).

This is much simpler than what the guy that did my Trailblazer's GoRhino step pads for me had to do- the TB's don't have lights in the doors, so he had to hunt for another 12v feed to one of the TB's interior lights (presumably the one above the driver's door, but I never asked). If I ever decide to put similar step pads on my new steps I'll be going to the wiring for those door lights. That way they'll also have the nice theater style dimming whenever the interior lights go out. (Looked cool on the TB when you saw it in person)

Not sure if this will help you or not But I was getting my brake controller harness ready to install and see there is a wire on it for Lighting it up with the dash lights..

This could be something only on the 05 2500hd?? not sure. I think I will use the feed for a couple led lights or such.. (my controller does not light up with dashlights)

If you wanted a feed to run with your marker lights go to a parts store and buy a device "add a fuse/circut" I think it what its called it plugs into the slot and has a wire coming from it, it has a place for 2 fuses to be plugged into it allowing the original fused circut and your add on (by the wire) to be fused as well!

I use one for my Visor Lights plugged into the trailer light circut in the box under the hood. Works great! one of these could be used on Any Circut you want!! dome lights, running lights or what ever..

sorry for the long one but I know very little shorthand.

The reason I'm asking is...

I sold my old HD crewcab to my friend. I had Westin chrome Oval Tube steps on it and they went bad. They were under warranty, so I got him the Westin Running Boards w/entry lights as a replacement (for free).

He is having one heck of a time finding a hot wire for the dome lights to tap into... He said there are about 40-50 wires coming through the drivers door and he can't find one that is switched. He said some of the wires are very thin gage wires. I was thinking that maybe there is a low voltage signal that travels through those thin wires to the BCM which tells the BCM to turn on the interior lights.

The fuse for the interior lights is in the fuse block under the hood... He is going to check it with a test light and see if it is switched or not, and then maybe tap into it under the hood.

I told him he may want to check the driver side A-Pillar to see if he can't find the right wire and then trace it down to the floor/firewall to tap into it...

I was hoping someone else had already gone through this scenario, and might be able to give us a quick answer... He only wants the boards to light up when he opens the doors/dome lights on.

Thanks for your help!!!

Hmm.. Interesting problem. I know that the wiring to the overhead console and rear domelight both have a switched 12v that can be tapped in my 2004. I was under the (maybe mistaken) impression that the lights on the rear of my doors would have hot wires that worked the same way- meaning that one of that big bundle he's got coming to his door should've been the switched 12v wire that's only hot when the dome lights are on. If I'm not mistaken both of the switched wires in my roof are black (grounds were gray w/black stripe), but this is for a 2004 and the colors appear to have changed a bit from the 99-02's.

Have him take the door panel off and see which wires lead to the light in the rear of the door. I'd be willing to bet that there's only two and one of those will be the switched hot he needs to tap into. If this is an 03+ truck the wire will likely be black (and the ground will be gray w/black stripe), assuming GM was consistent with the rest of their dome light wiring (both of my overhead lights- the one in the OHC and the rear dome light used black for the dash / BCM switched lead, and an orange wire for a constant 12v source). If it's a 99-02 or older I'm not sure what the colors will be. Either way test the wires with the dome light switch on and then off just to be sure that it really is switched.

What do you think about popping the dash bezel off and removing the headlight switch and then tapping into the wire just before it goes into the "dome overide button"?

I've never done this. But it sounds like it should work. I personally would rather tap into the closest source (lazy about pulling things apart).

Let us know what you do and how it went though. We can all learn (well, I can :chevy:).

Thanks!

he wanted interior lights. I have been looking for this also

Is the point to give some lighting to the fragile souls that are trying to negotiate the running boards on the way to getting into the truck?

Doh! Why didn't I realize that??

While I don't have any specific answers on this one, I'll just think like an engineer for a moment. (Wait a minute, I am an engineer.) If there are interior lights on the doors, then there is a wire passing through the doorjam that is energized when the interior lights are on. If it passes through the doorjam, it's reachable in the kick panel. That sounds like your best bet. Sorry it's not under the hood, but I think this is as close to the running board as you are likely to get.

A second option is the headlight switch (also not under the hood, sorry). The dome lamp override switch is here, so the interior lights are probably running through this switch, unless they're controlled by the RDS (Anyone?, Bueller??).

Why not pull the light on the door out have a look see at the wire color. Pull the kick panel behind the E-Brake (sorry PARKING brake) plice the wire there. Ditto for passenger side...

• 2 months later...

door plunger switch....it prob. has 3 wires on it.... Use a Test Light (Looks like a pen w/ a sharp tip and a wire with a roach clip on the end and a bulb in the middle) :cheers: attach the clip to a metal surface (ground) and start lunging the test light tip into the wires with the door open with interior light on.... when the bulb comes on its a ...positive. ... push the plunger on the door to make sure it switches and when the test light goes off thats your positive. Test light is like $4.00 from Sears, Radio Shack or something. Thats what I would do....

Archived