2500HD Mileage

I just bought a 05 2500HD about 1 month ago with the 6.0 gas motor. I am averaging around 12.0 MPG. I checked this number manually as well as by the computer.

What type of mileage is everybody else getting? I thought it would be a little better since my 98 2500 with the 5.7 got 13.5 in the winter and a little over 14 in the summer.

Thanks...

Tom

I just bought a 05 2500HD about 1 month ago with the 6.0 gas motor.  I am averaging around 12.0 MPG.  I checked this number manually as well as by the computer. 

What type of mileage is everybody else getting?  I thought it would be a little better since my 98 2500 with the 5.7 got 13.5 in the winter and a little over 14 in the summer.

Thanks...

Tom

That is about right for that truck and engine but it may improve some after you get 10k miles on it or so. You might try a higher octane fuel (plus) and see what happens too. I have a 2000 K3500 with a 5.7 and when I switched from 87 to plus of premium and added a Hypertech tune I increased town MPG (with A/C) from 12 MPG to 13 to 13.5 MPG and it runs noticeabley better too. It will do 16 to 17MPG on highway but it is not driven much and only has 31k on it now and I bought it new.

With only about 6,000 miles - I'm getting 12.5 avg. -- Its the around town driving that just kills the milage -- Just paid $2.08 for regular today --sure hope its true about increasing at 10,000 miles.

With only about 6,000 miles - I'm getting 12.5 avg.  -- Its the around town driving that just kills the milage -- Just paid $2.08 for regular today --sure hope its true about increasing at 10,000 miles.

Yes it hurts at the pump for sure. I have a 89 burb with a 40 gallon tank too! You might try higher grade fuel and se what happens as the computer will retard spark with low octane fuel before you hear it and that limits performance and MPG and at today fuel prices, higher octane fuel might only cost 3 to 5% more and yet maybe yeild a 5% to 10% or more increase in MPG depending on usage. Worth trying anyway. I only use premium on my old 4x4 burb in its current tune and it just averaged 16 MPG plus on a 900 mile trip and we were really booking at times too. If I keep it a 65 or less it will do about 18mpg. If I tune it t run regular it is a slug and will not make 15MPG on open road.

I have 81,xxx on my '03 with the 6.0 and religiously get 12-12.5. It doesn't matter if I drive in town or on the highway, empty or pulling a trailer...12-12.5. That being said, one should note that my driving style is not always conducive to good fuel economy.

I usually get 11.5 to 12.5 city / highway mileage. I once got 14.3 on a 250 mile run with hills, but I was running "gun shy" after getting a ticket for 85 mph, I continued not exceeding 70 mph. I've got the 3.73's and I really don't know anyone can get over 15 mpg with the Pigtec 6.0. :cheers:

I'm always watching to see what 6.0 guys are getting MPG wise.

The 6.0 getting 12.5 MPG is the reason I went with the 8.1 in my crew cab back in 04. I'm getting about 10 MPG city and consistently pull 12-13 highway from my big block. Not bad.

I did see an increase when I installed Volant and got Westers. Not huge MPG gains, but driveability is much better.

Good luck.

Danm, y'all are getting some bad numbers.....

Not sure what my TRUE highway numbers are yet (betting on 16.5 MINIMUM), but intown has gone up from 10.8 max to up to 14.8, depending.... I consistently see hi-13's, low-14's with moderate driving (14.8 was m-e-l-l-o-w for ME, but still average by others :driving: ). HEAVY driving puts me in the 12's, low 11's. Used to put me in single-digits :crackup: .

Went to the strip this weekend, hard driving up there, 5 passes and moderate driving back- still got decent mileage, considering :flag: !!!!!

SS, that's all you're getting with your tune ?? Is it a straight 91 or a dual-tune ??

I do have to say that, YES- these things don't seem to break-in normally. I noticed a marked improvement in mine over 10k miles.... weird :withstupid: . I thought it was just me :P !!!!!

If ya ain't got a tune, get one !!! If you do, tweak it :D !!

Danm, y'all are getting some bad numbers.....

SS, that's all you're getting with your tune ?? Is it a straight 91 or a dual-tune ??

I've got the 91 Hot Tune backed off just a hair so it doesn't ping on towing; since us Californians can't get gas with higher than 91 octane. I don't baby it, but I don't hot dog it either.

Umm, yeah, sorry. Short trips do kill us.... My commute to work has 12 or so miles of freeway. Bumper to bumper, on the gas off the gas, but still WAY better than complete stops...

Guess that would help, huh...

And I always forget to mention, I also happened to switch to Mobil1 at the same time, so I'm sure a little of that 3+ is due to the M1. But still... that's all tune, baby :withstupid: !!!

2004 6.0L here and I have been sitting just under 13 MPG empty in around town and on a big long trip last fall got her up to 17. Pretty good I think for a 3/4 ton. Even towing the 29 foote 5th wheel I have been getting 9.5-11.5 depending on the weather and terrain. All Stock truck, no upgrades other then a roll nlock cover on the box, running boards etc. That probably helps the wind resistance anyhow.

Archived