Leak

Great way to start the week. Backed out of the garage this morning, 5am pitch black. I go back in to get the trash and see a fluid on the floor. I put my finger on it and it appears to be clear lubricant, didn't look like oil. Could be front diff? I couldnt check it out at that time. Anyone have something leak from front? Only 40k on this truck, hope this is not the start of the chasing leaks era. :cheers:

Great way to start the week. Backed out of the garage this morning, 5am pitch black. I go back in to get the trash and see a fluid on the floor. I put my finger on it and it appears to be clear lubricant, didn't look like oil. Could be front diff? I couldnt check it out at that time. Anyone have something leak from front? Only 40k on this truck, hope this is not the start of the chasing leaks era.  :cheers:

If it is diff fluid it will have a smell to it and if it is brake fluid it will no feel very slippery between fingers.

Great way to start the week. Backed out of the garage this morning, 5am pitch black. I go back in to get the trash and see a fluid on the floor. I put my finger on it and it appears to be clear lubricant, didn't look like oil. Could be front diff? I couldnt check it out at that time. Anyone have something leak from front? Only 40k on this truck, hope this is not the start of the chasing leaks era.  :cheers:

If it is diff fluid it will have a smell to it and if it is brake fluid it will no feel very slippery between fingers.

I am sure it is not brake fluid because the spot was dead nuts in the center of the truck, between the wheels, and the brakes are normal. Seems likely to be the diff, have to get under there tonight. I just hope other leaks dont start, always seems to go like that, once you get the first, more follow....

Let us know what type vehicle it is but even without the information I would bet on a coolant leak. Take a look when you are home and see if it has dried up. I say coolant because most of them are Intake gaskets and will likely leak at the back of the engine down around the bellhousing and fall right in the center just behind the wheels.

Got home last night and got the creeper out. Got under as far as I could with a mag light and looked around. I saw what looked like old oil on the x-fer case. Those are filled with tranny fluid but I guess it turns black and grimy after sitting there. I put a piece of sheet metal under the truck and this morning there was nothing there. It is not coolant. Gonna leave the metal there until I get a good sample to check. I know it has leaked before because I noticed the small spots on my garage floor, about 4 of them. I got to say I am baffled why it would only leak once in a while. :withstupid:

I left the sheet metal under the truck for a week. It is definately tranny fluid (pink, no smell) It must be coming from the transfer case, but where? Not the drain plug, any ideas???

I left the sheet metal under the truck for a week. It is definately tranny fluid (pink, no smell) It must be coming from the transfer case, but where? Not the drain plug, any ideas???

Check all of the case bolts and make sure they are snug and if nine found check the output shaft seals and the only other thing to check is the Tcase to tranny adaptor bolts too and the seal between the two of them.

Check all of the case bolts and make sure they are snug and if nine found check the output shaft seals and the only other thing to check is the Tcase to tranny adaptor bolts too and the seal between the two of them.

OK, I will check the case bolts, they sure looked good but you can never be sure. One other thing is initially it was one leak, or so it appeared, last few days there are 2 drops on the sheet metal about 8 inches apart inline. Maybe this is a sign of bad output shaft seals. This don't sound good anyway I look at it. I am sure it isn't designed for easy replacement!

OK, I will check the case bolts, they sure looked good but you can never be sure. One other thing is initially it was one leak, or so it appeared, last few days there are 2 drops on the sheet metal about 8 inches apart inline. Maybe this is a sign of bad output shaft seals. This don't sound good anyway I look at it. I am sure it isn't designed for easy replacement!

Output shaft seals are not bad to replace. The hardest part is get the yoke nut off if you do not have the proper tools. A 3/4 inch impact will make short work of it though.

Output shaft seals are not bad to replace. The hardest part is get the yoke nut off if you do not have the proper tools. A 3/4 inch impact will make short work of it though.

Thanks for the tip Snoman!

Archived