transmission filter

1996 yukon with rpo = M30 tramsmission, I am about to change the trans filter,

how many quarts of new fluid would I need.?

4 or 5 will cover it!

I would get 6 quarts because it may take a bit over 5 quarts to refill and you do not want to be short on fliud. Also file it to add line cold (indling in neutral or park) and then check it again after it is fully warmed up and adjust the level accordingly.

If you have your manual it should list all fluid capacities in the back.

Spec shows tranny total capacity. WHen you drop the pan and do a filter change, you only change about 5 qts, the rest is in the torque converter. I now pull the tranny drain and top off avery oil change in order to keep the fluid fresh all the time.

I always buy 5 qts and it is enough. At $1 per qt, it wouldn't hurt to have an extra in case. Also heed the advice on checking it. DO NOT overfill as it will create problems for you.

Yup, about 5 quarts for the pan drop, filter change.

But if you are going to flush the whole system, then about 12-14 quarts for the 4L60E and about 14-16 quarts for the 4L80E.

If you have your manual it should list all fluid capacities in the back.

Spec shows tranny total capacity. WHen you drop the pan and do a filter change, you only change about 5 qts, the rest is in the torque converter. I now pull the tranny drain and top off avery oil change in order to keep the fluid fresh all the time.

I always buy 5 qts and it is enough. At $1 per qt, it wouldn't hurt to have an extra in case. Also heed the advice on checking it. DO NOT overfill as it will create problems for you.

Last 700R4/4L60 I did took a bit more than 5 quarts to fully top it off and fluid is to cheap to not buy an extra to be sure and to keep around just in case.

Archived